TOW Missile -V- a T-72 Tank......

Tony

The tracking system at base (the firing point) tells it when the target is directly below and triggers detonation. The missile is controlled by a wire which runs back to the firing point for navigation and detonation purposes.Wire guided missiles are old technology now really.

TOW means Tube launched - Optically aimed - Wire guided. They have been around for  long time; there have been a lot of versions and certainly the earlier ones were intended to strike the target directly. So all the operator had to do was centre a graticule on the target and steer the missile (using a joystick of some kind) so that the flare on the back of the missile stays in the centre of the graticule. I worked on Vigilant back in the 60s. It used similar arrangements, but was much smaller than TOW and had a much shorter range.

Armoured fighting vehicles (AFVs) have had all their vertical faces (where they are normally hit by projectiles) greatly strengthened and carefully shaped to better withstand attack, so some of the later TOWS were modified to attack from above using (I think) two warheads that are fired vertically downwards from the main body of the missile. I assume that the version in the video is one of these.

I can't imagine that the operator, who may be more than 3Kmetres away from the target, is required to judge when the missile is over the target. It's much more likely that there is some kind of proximity device incorporated, together with some max/min range limitation to safeguard against triggering above the wrong target.