Had a photo published!

Rich

I went to Africa Alive about 4 years ago and sent one of my photos I took to them for their competition. We went there again last week and Josh bought one of their guide books, which I didn't look at until last night. As soon as I turned the page I recognised my photo! I didn't win the competition and their terms obviously state they can use the photos as they wish, which is fine by me but I'm pretty chuffed they chose it for their book :D It's also on their website.

This is the photo I took:

5012487611_f7fca8b362_o.jpg

This is the book:

WP_20140921_19_38_29_Pro.jpg

• Like 2

Yep I'm proud with myself but it would have been nice if there was some acknowledgement of who took it. I hadn't long got my DSLR camera or been into photography that much when I took it.

I tried to get some more of the Fossa's last week but one was pacing behind some bushes and the other asleep so will have to try next time. They are beautiful looking animals :)

Odd looking beasts if you ask me.... Looks like it's sucking a lemon. Nevertheless it is a great picture and focused the animal perfectly hence the reason they used it plus don't forget you do have your watermark on it so your famous albeit amongst the zoo fraternity :)

• 3 months later...

This kind of stuff can be real liberty taking, but I guess you read the small print before you submitted the picture. Photographers have campaigned for years to stop abuse of copyright,but organisations still do it and most amateur photographers are so excited at the thought of publication that they forget that their intellectual property is actually being stolen.

• 3 weeks later...

Lovely photo! Shame they didnt have the decency to let you know they had used your pic.

After all it would have guaranteed another book sale!

I missed this, thanks.

Yes it would've been nice if they had told me but never mind. I'm just glad we bought the book otherwise I would never have known.

This kind of stuff can be real liberty taking, but I guess you read the small print before you submitted the picture. Photographers have campaigned for years to stop abuse of copyright,but organisations still do it and most amateur photographers are so excited at the thought of publication that they forget that their intellectual property is actually being stolen.

I suppose it's a way for the company to get some decent photos without having to pay for them, in fact I paid them to enter the competition, I think it was £2!

It is a cheek sine Rich has a watermark on the image.

The one I posted on here has a watermark, the one I sent to them didn't have it or the border. You can't send them a watermarked version as it will be excluded otherwise for breaching their terms.