Specific tyres made for Drifting

Tony

Maxxis MA-Z1 Victra. Seemingly they are made to deliver outstanding traction? With enhanced cornering abilities for professional Drift competition. I have tried to find out more but Maxxis site is down..... If anyone has more information please let us know.

Maxxis MA-Z1 Victra. Seemingly they are made to deliver outstanding traction? With enhanced cornering abilities for professional Drift competition. I have tried to find out more but Maxxis site is down..... If anyone has more information please let us know.

Would have thought that outstanding traction was the last thing you needed :whistle:

Would have thought that outstanding traction was the last thing you needed :thumbsup_anim:

Indeed :thumbsup_anim:

as far as i believe traction plays a major part in drifting

little or no traction means little or no control

and the whole concept of drifting is control

think of ice skating without ice skates on !

as far as i believe traction plays a major part in drifting

little or no traction means little or no control

and the whole concept of drifting is control

think of ice skating without ice skates on !

Well said :thumbsup_anim: Scorps on their site the drift tyres section is down. Maxxis are now sponsoring the NM Drift group and the NOPI professional Drift series in the USA 07 season. Shame they cannot display their products :thumbsup_anim:

I haven't heard anything about these, in Japan they use Advan Neova AD-07 and Bridgestone Potenza RE-01 in both D1 and JGTC. Both very high-spec road tyres (think Eagle F1 / T1R only sexier!), JDM / U.S market only at this time unfortunately! I think Nomuken uses some special Kumho Ecstas though on the Blitz ER34 Skyline for coloured smoke :D

Afaik Bazza is spot on, the reason for wearing a very good tyre is because when you decide to stop your drift, you want as much good grip, as fast as possible. Its much easier to maintain a drift in a competition spec car, especially with the sorta bhp they run, simply with throttle control, so they want good grip hence the tyres. Unfortunately us mortals don't have a tyre sponsor so we can't go about raping sets of top notch tyres when we're out! :crying:

• 6 months later...

As speaking of tyres, my first expieriences was try to have good tyres on the front, whatever on the back, usually buying used tyres with few mm of protector left for rear, just to stay on cheaper side, as to say "anyway i will burn them in couple of laps" Then i did experiment, bought a set of new Nankangs, veery cheap tyres compared to others, probably not the best around

nankang-nsII.jpg

And on the front i had AD-07. Before putting on new set on Nankangs, i had my used AD-07s at the back as well (255/40/18). Did few laps, everything felt right, car drifted as i was used to, all good..AD07 at the back came to an end. Then i put on brand new Nankangs. WOW first lap i felt like im playing with car, it became completely predictable, loads of smoke, and i would say everything improved by 25%!!! And the beauty thing was that I could actually drift a long time compared to second hand rubber i used to buy, and after doing my maths i understood that moneywise its even better to buy some low budget NEW tyres than buy second have stuff for pennies. But as for front, i try to go for good, more expensive tyres!

Loved about ice and skating!!! Bulls eye! Drift is all about traction and control! :lol:

• 9 months later...

Ok, carry on from this, as I myself have always used 2nd hand part worns, well nearly all worns shall I say lol, but having a browse around on the web for the cheapest new rubber I can find, and thats still coming out at £35.

Like Fundamental I too noticed the difference in control you have with a good tyre, so now Im thinking drop all this begging from local tyres shops for their old tyres they throw out, but see if I can find anyhere that I could buy a seriously cheap budget tyre. On average I use 4 set of rears for one drift practice day, so who knows anything I dont about where to go or look for the seriously cheap unbranded but yet lots of new tread tyre ?

Tony, what about you know, do you know anyone ?

Ok, carry on from this, as I myself have always used 2nd hand part worns, well nearly all worns shall I say lol, but having a browse around on the web for the cheapest new rubber I can find, and thats still coming out at £35.

Like Fundamental I too noticed the difference in control you have with a good tyre, so now Im thinking drop all this begging from local tyres shops for their old tyres they throw out, but see if I can find anyhere that I could buy a seriously cheap budget tyre. On average I use 4 set of rears for one drift practice day, so who knows anything I dont about where to go or look for the seriously cheap unbranded but yet lots of new tread tyre ?

Tony, what about you know, do you know anyone ?

What sizes do you run?