S2IM's MK2 1.8iS MX5

S2IM

Interested in your comment about plug leads failing.

On my Mk2 1.8is I've just had two break inside the coil end caps so they obviously do suffer over time.

However I knew I had a new set of Mk1 leads in my garage, but when I went to fit them I found that the spark plug ends were slightly shorter than the original Mk2s and wouldn't reach to fit on the spark plug properly.

Going online, all I can find are lead sets that say they are good for Mk1 & Mk2 - so what's going on? I did find some comments on MX5Parts saying that some leads didn't fit the Mk2 very well.

Any thoughts?

All I can think (and I am sure you aware!) is that each lead is a different length from the coil to the plug... wrong way round?

Is the Mk1 a 1.8 as well?

Sorry, what I meant to say was that the actual piece that goes down into the head and clips on to the spark plug is too short for the Mk2. The distance between the round ring that stops water going down the plughole and the metal plug end clip is slightly shorter on the Mk1.

Mk1 is 1.6 and Mk2 is 1.8

No problems with length of lead from the coil - just vertically into the head.

Seems one of them isn't patching a hole on vinyl material. Keeps coming unstuck. Any ideas before the weekend downpours?!

Don't say a bucket! :D

Tiger seal is your friend :) Once it's on you're not getting it off though.

You're right Andy. There are 7mm, 8 and 8.5mm lead variants for both the MK1 and 2. I was about to order but I'm now also confused about what to buy.

Ill speak to them and find out/report back.

I think the MM variants are the thickness of the insulation reading on Magnecor's site. Not length but waiting for confirmation

Still getting the rough idle when pulling up to junctions to a standing stop and 3k hesitancy when cold so hopefully a new set will cure.

• 4 weeks later...

Dropped off into the body shop this morning for a front end re-spray. Bumper and bonnet was a mess thanks to the brilliant resurfacing the highways agency have been up to. Gravel seems to now account for a decent road surface replacement to tarmac!

Will post up a couple of pics once done before and after. Then onto the brakes and a service next.

Mintex pads - any good? There is a rather good offer on at the mo which I may take up.

I use Mintex m1144 on the front and standard on the rear. Fitted a day before a track day, fast bed in on the way up to the track.

Decent on the track and stood up well to repeated high speed slowdowns back to back BUT the dust is horrendous. Worse I have ever seen. And the 1144s don't like being cold. Initial bite is not really that great.

For my application I think they are Ok standard fronts should be fine but expect dust lol

• Like 2

Dust am not bothered about.

I want a better bite on the pad.

So had the car returned from the body shop. Front looks great. Will post a pic once i have given it a buff.

Weird thing... Car was on axel stands all night in the body shop until lunch time today.

Got in the car and it felt all over the place like. Got to Richs and had a look. One side was nearly 1.5-2" higher than the other specifically on the rear.

How long does to take for suspension to settle after being off the found for 24 hours?

Currently looking online for a new coilovers setup as it looks like a 4x4 MX5! :D

Paint job looked good :)

I couldn't see any difference between the springs and they seemed to be seated properly. Hopefully it will settle some more and had just been left in a relaxed state for a long time.

• 6 months later...

Didnt do much with the car between the last post and November but stepped it up a little recently. 

First thing was to sort the soaking i was getting thanks to the old vinyl roof that has shrunk exposing the seals. Organised a replacement hood from hothoods and the chap came out to my work and fitted a lovely new mohair roof with a replacement rear window. Car is now water tight and the mohair looks a bit nicer on top. 

Car was then MOT'd after Xmas and I had advisories for the brakes all round, suspension that was rotten and rear sills that need a bit of welding done. 

Up to WIM then, new disks and pads fitted all round 2 weeks ago. Pagid OEM replacements and working well. 

Suspension, umm'd and aah'd about this for quite a whilst reading reviews online etc from owners clubs. Decided to take Joe's advise and go with the BC's. Choice was between those and the HSD's. So up there today and he got to work whipping the old stuff off and replacing with the new kit. Then a full geo. 

Had a 20 mile drive to do to work so decided to take it down the lanes after the dual carriageway to see how it got on. 

It certainly handles a lot better, body roll reduced! More to the point where you can enter a corner quicker and upon exit you notice how it is more composed. Coils were set to 325 on the ride height all round from the standard 310f and 320r out of the box. It was too low with the default settings. Speed bumps I have to take with care now but I think Ill see how i go for the next 1000 miles. If they start becoming a problem ill get it raised a little. Only thing I need to do is play with the damping settings as I think they may be a little too hard for some of the potholes that I have to deal with on the way to work. (unsure of the out of the box "clicks")

Car looks great now with a new hood, shiny new brakes and a decent ride height :)

When/ if you change the damper settings do it sequentially as in try the front/ rear first and if there's no improvement put it back and adjust the front/ rear then test. I you blindly change all the settings you could improve one end but destroy another. 

Thanks Tony. Just been out and checked them. Currently on 11 clicks from soft front and 7 clicks from rear soft.  What would be a good number for front and rear?

Dont get me wrong.. car feels good. Just crashes over the smallest of pot holes/drain covers.