S2IM's MK2 1.8iS MX5

S2IM

if it was anything like mine as standard he might need some new wing mirrors due to the roll :lol:

Toyos are a decent all round for sure. Just remember the will take a few miles to get rid of the slippy releasing agent so they will only get better.

• 3 months later...

So little update.

Had a few issues with the car so deified to tackle a couple on my own and the others were sorted by my local garage in kings Langley.

Cleaned the MAF out as the car felt it was bogging down from low revs. Used some contact cleaner and seems to have helped with the 3000rpm stutter. Still there a little but not as pronounced when cold.

Car always had a bit of a notchy gear change so had the diff and gearbox oils done today. Added some moly slip whilst at it. Changes are now silky smooth! No crunching and it's easier to flick into the gears when pressing on.

Whilst it was on the ramp I took the chance to find the exhaust rattle. Looks like the standard system is still on it. Lasted fairly well but the back box is rattling and so is the Cat which is annoying. I don't hear the cat rattle when driving but giving it a whack something is loose in there too.

Only issue is the exhaust is a 3 piece system. Manifold, cat and mid pipe as one and then the back box. So buying a new cat means a new mid pipe as well. Think I may as well go custom from the down pipe back and get a new backbox. Found a cat replacement so would need a flange on the replacement mid pipe to fit. Just trying to find the ideal backbox now!

Other than that. It's due it's service in 3000 miles but it's been brill so far. It's gets driven fairly hard and I am quite impressed with the ease of DIY on these and actually enjoying working on it!

Service piece of p**s! Done an oil change in 30 mins out in the garage. Sparkplugs air filter and fuel filter and you are set. Get the belts done in any garage. Non-interference so no risk of the belt snapping and lunching the valves!

Cambelt done 30k ago (4yrs ago) and the fuel filter looks new as well. To be fair we are talking less than £100 for a service and I've asked for it to be gone over with a fine tooth comb. I think the alternator or power steering belt needs changing as makes a noise from cold start ups. Disappears after 20 mins.

My clutch and gearbox worries have all been put to bed now and the fluid change really has sorted the gear changes out. Even pipped a second gear chirp earlier :D

Yep same garage Rich, very honest. Use those chaps for servicing and WIM for tyres/wheels/brakes etc.

Looks like the hood will need replacing but first it needs a new exhaust. Old one is blowing a bit and the backbox is rattling between 2300-3000rpms.

When we had it up on the ramp (when the gear/diff oils were being done) the rearbox to midpipe flange is so rotten I don't think I'll be able to get the backbox off. So looks like I will need a new midpipe and rearbox now. The annoying thing on the car is that midpipe contains the cat! I think that part is ok so looking to order a replacement midpipe that can be sleeved onto the original cat (cutting the midpipe after cat) and mating that up to the new backbox.

Don't think I can do that all myself so I'll be paying a visit to Joe again!

Looking at the same exhaust as Steve-O's but its 4" instead of 3.5" - why I don't know but the Cobalt for the MK2 is bigger. Sound is perfect but not sure if 4" is too big for an MX5

Thanks Rich

So the options are:

Cobalt 4" as above

Cobalt 3.5" duals:

Mx5 parts single:

Ruled out the custom route today (well the local ones in Watford). Was not filled with confidence.

There is a mx5parts dual as we'll but it's pricey.

Magnex and super sprint do one but again huge tail pipes!

I reckon 3.5" will be the sweet spot. The duals above sound very good and warming to them a little. Think it might look quite good once I get the suspension sorted and lowered.

Budget is key. I don't want to spend half the cars value on an exhaust.

The 4" isn't horrendous, and I'm sure probably doesn't look that different to the 3.5" in the flesh.

However given how small the car is, any large pipe is going to look a bit uneven - definitely dual pipes  :D

That's what I told him, it doesn't look right without one the other side :D