Ideal temperature to adjust tyre pressures

Rich

Other than reduced migration via the membrane seemingly so...... I still think there's benefits to be had otherwise why would the likes of aircraft/ motorsport industries insist on nitrogen?..... Domestically i/ we are still on virgin ground playing catch up within the Internet argument zone, which i welcome but i will argue this if Nitrogen offers 1% benefit at zero additional cost then is there an argument to be had? 

I can see the landing loads being a big factor with aircraft tyres using it - sudden acceleration, combined with masses of heat from the brakes, and the danger of having a tyre explode from overpressure.

If the nitrogen is more stable across a wider range of temperatures, its going to be safer at altitude too, surely, where temperatures drop very low? Moisture from "normal" air could turn to ice at altitude, and unbalance the wheel on landing?

Also, being inert, it won't have such an effect on wheels on a normal car?

Exactly nitrogen is used in aircraft to prevent corrosion of the wheels , nothing more

It doesn't matter what the pressure is at altitude for obvious reasons

I understand the argument for reduced migration but the only advantage you really see is less requirement for checking the tyres , which is really not a good thing since tyres need frequent inspections not just pressure checks

Maybe this is where the benefit comes in? As we know many people don't check the pressures regularly, myself included embarrassedly. Yes i look at them and judge they are ok visually but only physically check them when they look soft.  

Horror of the week ? Talk about the cobblers kids going barefoot !

I check my tyres every week or two and give them a good check over wrt tread depth , condition and damage

Guess that's just me

You are not looking at the numbers Tony.

I don't know enough about the Consumer Reports in the U.S. to say how dependable their figures are, but they seem to be the only ones who have done a significant long-term test and published results. In a year, the average reduction in pressure for 30 tyres filled with air was recorded as 3.5 psi  the equivalent figure for nitrogen was 2.2 psi. I do my tyres once a week and over that time-scale the difference would not be measurable. Even if tyres were checked once a month the difference would only be 1/10th of a psi. Still not measurable and of the kind of change level that you would get from a small change in ambient temperature.

If we put the same effort into educating drivers into examining their tyres and checking the pressures as we have done in pushing the nitrogen propaganda, we would have far less tyre failures due to under inflation and un-noticed damage etc.