Final coat

parthiban

There was an article about Topaz detailing in the latest HR Owen magazine, and at the end of it were some tips on how to clean your car.

Most of it was the usual stuff we all know like 2 buckets, etc, but the part I found interesting was them saying that for the final layer don't use any polishes or waxes but instead use a liquid based product like Meguiars Last Touch.

Looking that up it doesn't seem like a finishing product, nor something that offers protection so I'm confused as to why they would suggest that, and also what's wrong with waxes?

I'm no detailing expert so does anyone know why?

Strange! Last touch is a quick detailer for removing smears, fine dust or just to give the car a quick wipe down after waxing - it offers no protection at all.

Polish doesn't stay on the car when you use it, what you buff off is just the excess, (which is why you use as little as possible) but it will help with the shine and swirl removal.

A glaze, which is used like a polish fills swirls and light scratches to help hide them but you need to seal this in, ideally with a wax. You can use a sealant but they prefer bare paint so they bond properly otherwise you won't get the longevity of the product.

Whoever wrote that article hasn't done their research properly.

Ok that was my understanding too - hopefully they've just been misquoted as Topaz are the fanciest of the detailers!

When I went passed their place last week they were in the process of cleaning an Enzo with a brand new F12 parked outside awaiting treatment...........

I hadn't heard of Topaz Detailing before, their prices are certainly justified by the location but outside of London there are detailers who will do the same level of work for alot less money.

I do like LT but have never been able to get on with any QD.

No I haven't but might try and get some see what it's like. You can use it while drying the car when using ONR.

That's what I use to do with LT but when I switched to ONR I stopped using any kind of QD. Now that I have a hose pipe I haven't used ONR for ages, I've been trying out a few different shampoos to see what I think of them. Having a black car again might mean I go back to ONR to avoid those dreaded waterspots!

Optimum No Rinse. Doesn't need rinsing as the name suggests but still dried.

Just looked that up, sounds amazing! Does it actually work? (I'm guessing it does from your recommendation)

I suppose a full wash doesn't really take that long but if it's just a case of a bucket and a cloth and nothing else this could be 15 mins and all done!

Ever tried Optimums one Rich? It's water based

Wouldn't it just wash off then in the rain :huh:

No its water based not just water :)

I still use ONR from time to time , great for when the car needs a wash but its raining outside or dark so i can do it in the garage :)

Optimum No Rinse. Doesn't need rinsing as the name suggests but still dried.

Just looked that up, sounds amazing! Does it actually work? (I'm guessing it does from your recommendation)

I suppose a full wash doesn't really take that long but if it's just a case of a bucket and a cloth and nothing else this could be 15 mins and all done!

Yes it does, I used it for a few years when at the flat, I've also used it to clean the caravan as it saves time not rinsing the suds off! ;)

You can use a sponge (I use B&Q grout sponge) or microfibre cloths. I wouldn't recommend a wool mitt, the dirt will stick to it and I couldn't get on with a noddle mitt.

Have a read of this - http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=195294