EU Tyre Rating Link - Costs and Saving Calculator......

Tony

Problem with those labels is that the fuel grade and wet braking grade are almost completely opposite  :lol:

For most people the fuel saving is almost negligible though, but a difference in wet braking distance of several metres could mean the difference between crashing and not..............

Well, I don't doubt that the lettering system does have some correlation to tyre noise, fuel consumption, wet grip. However, if all you are going to save by switching from a nice grippy tyre with higher rolling resistance to one with considerably longer wet braking distances in order to save a couple of tanks of fuel per year, then no thanks! I'd rather have a tyre that is as competent as possible in the wet as there will be numerous situations every year where for one reason or another i'll probably need to emergency brake.

I'm not so sure, what I look for in a tyre is a quiet ride and good grip. For that the noise reading and the wet braking rating come in quite handy...........or are you saying that those readings/ratings are inaccurate?

I think the tests are done in a controlled environment so they don't really apply to the real world?

They still apply surely, if one tyre is quieter than another in a controlled environment, it will still be quieter than the other on the road. Similarly if one tyre stops quicker in the wet on a test track, it still applies on the road.

Based on tyres I have experience with, I'd say the labels look fairly accurate.

Surely that would depend on the road surface and the type of rain we have has to how noisy they are and quickly they stop in the real world. One road surface might effect the quieter tyre more than the louder one on the same road.

I'm not sure it's quite that complicated, and it sure beats buying tyres completely blind (basing your choice on a tyre test opens up to exactly the same variables).

In any case based on examples of tyres I have owned and used, the labels seem to be fairly accurate. For example Dunlop SP Sports are very quiet (and the label agrees) and the Michelin PS3s have great grip (again the labels agree).