Horror of the week 03/04/07

Tony

Citroen Saxo, owned by an elderly gentleman.

Complaint

Pull to the right

post-2-1175627380.jpg

As you can see the NSF ball (heavily pressed) joint has detached from the control arm :) He insists he is the only driver and has not hit anything other than the usual traffic obstacales.... Methinks the Grandchildren have been using the car on the quirt :)

Bloody hell must've hit something pretty hard to cause that! :)

I'm always checking mine now especially since you pointed that bolt out to me!

What can happen if the whole ball joint comes away from the lower arm though, would it have the same affect as if the main bolts sheared and the arm comes out?

What can happen if the whole ball joint comes away from the lower arm though, would it have the same affect as if the main bolts sheared and the arm comes out?

Methinks the grandchildren have taken out a hefty life insurance policy on their grandad :)

Catastrophic consequences... Obviously with the joint detached the control arms casting is seriously compromised.... And i must add the owner drove the car away :)

Some people have no sense...I bet there was abit of play in that as well!!

Looking at the photo again I can't see how the ball joint could fall out unless the pinch bolt failed. But if that happens the ball joint can't fall out can it as the weight of the car would hold it in the hub? Unless you happen to go over a nasty pot hole or fly over a humped back bridge!!

Some people have no sense...I bet there was abit of play in that as well!!

Looking at the photo again I can't see how the ball joint could fall out unless the pinch bolt failed. But if that happens the ball joint can't fall out can it as the weight of the car would hold it in the hub? Unless you happen to go over a nasty pot hole or fly over a humped back bridge!!

The pinch bolt is perfectly intact.... The ball housing has departed. I must say these are pressed using much tonnage and i have never seen an OE fail like this before.

That's what I don't get, you take your car in to get the problem diagnosed. Once the problem has been found and obviously they were told how damgerous it is, they just drove off and don't bother getting it fixed.

How much would that have cost, no more than 80quid I would've thought...

That's what I don't get, you take your car in to get the problem diagnosed. Once the problem has been found and obviously they were told how damgerous it is, they just drove off and don't bother getting it fixed.

How much would that have cost, no more than 80quid I would've thought...

The fee was more than expected, not everyone is as understanding of the consequences as members here in wim, so often they take the car away.

oh dear. you would think bein some1 of the older genoration thay would understand the safty issues this is creating{and danger to them and other road users}and got it done a.s.a.p..dont think i could drive it knowin that it was like that..

oh dear. you would think bein some1 of the older genoration thay would understand the safty issues this is creating{and danger to them and other road users}and got it done a.s.a.p..dont think i could drive it knowin that it was like that..

Thought that was bad.... read this one http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/ind...ror+of+the+year

Thought that was bad.... read this one http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/ind...ror+of+the+year

had to be a mini..lol...seen that afew times when i worked in a mot station...most commen on them i think{naughty}

had to be a mini..lol...seen that afew times when i worked in a mot station...most commen on them i think{naughty}

And he drove it away..... in several directions though :thumbsup_anim:

brings back memories of when i had an old '86 transit, i had just come of the dual carriageway after doing 70, whilst slowing for the roundabout, the balljoint parted and caused the bottom arm to hit the ground, causing the front wheel to wedge itself into the rear of the wheelarch, brown-trouser-time :thumbsup_anim:...since then, it happened to my father-in-law 2yrs ago on his '87 transit based camper van. (he was crawling in traffic) so transit drivers, check your balls.