removing / replacing drop links

Well it has come for me to finally fix the darn droplinks on my accord...

Ebay supprised me with a set of AM parts for £25 delivered.. Honda want £50 per item :lol:.

Anyway.. drop links is something i have never done before so will need some advice on the safest way to remove /refit.

I was planning on grinding off the old nuts and 'tapping' the old ones out of place with a hammer.

Now this is where my knowledge is poor.. are the drop links loaded more when the wheel is on the ground sharing the cars weight, or when the wheel is off the floor (ie wheel removed from hub).

I dont have access to a ramp.. only a flat drive with a hydraulic jack so my tools and space is limited.

Thanks

Adam

Got a link to the seller you got them from as I need some for the Civic?

You normally need an allen key and spanner. Use the key to hold the ball and the spanner to undo the nut. If they're seized you may need to get a hacksaw and cut through the bolt or grind the nut off. They are very easy to change though, was the first ever job I did on the Mondeo and what got me into going DIY :lol:

Im on my mobile so not sure if this will work for you but

Visit My Website

The ebay sellers name is 44nmj.

They arrived in 2 days of purchase and look good quality.

Did you have to releive tension on the arb before fitting new ones or do they just slot in?

Im on my mobile so not sure if this will work for you but

Visit My Website

The ebay sellers name is 44nmj.

They arrived in 2 days of purchase and look good quality.

Did you have to releive tension on the arb before fitting new ones or do they just slot in?

No link don't work but they're the ones I'm watching on ebay, same seller. What brand did they send you? You just need to be careful with some of them as they don't last very long.

When I changed them on the Mondeo I did one side at a time with no issues. I'll probably jack both sides up on the Civic though like Joe said. The links are very short on this car so I think there might be more tension in the bar?

Thanks joe .

I only have 1 hydraulic jack. Do i jack up one side and then put a axle stand on a subframe point ? Then jack up the other side?

I use the jacking point as my trolley jack doesnt have enough reach to get to the center trolley jack point at the front of the car :lol:

Thanks joe .

I only have 1 hydraulic jack. Do i jack up one side and then put a axle stand on a subframe point ? Then jack up the other side?

I use the jacking point as my trolley jack doesnt have enough reach to get to the center trolley jack point at the front of the car :lol:

Yep that's what I do, jack from the sill or block channel just behind it and axle stand on the subframe.

Yeah that'd work, as long as the strain is off both wheels. If the ball joint in the link starts spinning they can be a bit of a nightmare though! If they want to they can be very stubborn, so if you don't fancy doing them on the drive give me a shout and we can get it on the ramp at one of the centres

Yeah that'd work, as long as the strain is off both wheels. If the ball joint in the link starts spinning they can be a bit of a nightmare though! If they want to they can be very stubborn, so if you don't fancy doing them on the drive give me a shout and we can get it on the ramp at one of the centres

Hi Joe. I would love to come to the WIM center to have these changed but a 200 mile round trips a bit too much for just drop links!

Im hoping i can angle grind the nut off then just hit them out with a hammer.