Surprise of the century! Matador tyres are good.

ChannelZ

Just picked up my new motor, and the dealer fitted new tyres to the front. They're Matador MT44 Elite3, and I have to say they're really very good. Quiet, really good grip in both wet and dry.

I was all ready to get my Pirelli P7 from the last car that I'd kept, moved to the new car, but I think these are just about as good as the P7, and I'll run them until they're done.

Although maybe I'll get the rear tyres swapped, they're Accelera Alpha with 6mm tread on them, and they don't inspire anywhere near as much confidence as the Matadors.

Chequered past, Tony? Do tell. :lol: I'd never heard or seen them before, and I'm a bit of a tyre anorak. Fully expected them to be rubbish, and going on the spare rims on Saturday ready to be sold, but I think I'll leave them be.

Yeah, I only run 205-55/16, which I guess is probably one of the most popular sizes on the road (as fitted to Mondeos, Focus, Astras, i30s, Meganes).

Will be interesting to see how well they last. I notice they have a tread depth marker on them showing how many mm you have left, I think they same as Nokian? The number is on the tread, and as it wears down the number changes.

Accelera Alpha really are bad. Full set on the Mazda with 6mm (think it's what they were), they were shocking. Just had to change them, felt dangerous.

I notice they have a tread depth marker on them showing how many mm you have left, I think they same as Nokian? The number is on the tread, and as it wears down the number changes.

That's pretty cool but I bet it doesn't make those who don't check their tyres now change their ways!