Hunter or Corghu Blacktech

kaz

Hi i'm new the forum and intend to have 4 wheel alignment done on my focus mk1 as i seem to be suffering from excessive uneven tyre from the front and rear

i've been doing a lot of google searching on the topic of alignment and read many of the topics on this forum

i am based in the west midlands are there any places anyone can recommend? i am willing to travel up to 50 miles as i want the job done properly and ensure the person carrying out the alignment knows what they are doing

any one used Aline in Dudley? or Addison Tyres in Tipton? who both use the Hunter

ive heard alot of horror stories where the job has not been done properly

i also called a company as i was under the impression the Hunter machine is the best in the business

i was informed by the chap that i spoke to was that they have a better machine than the Hunter which is a Corghi Blacktech as on the Corghi machine they can carry out a 'Rock check' which cannot be done on the Hunter

is this correct? what is a Rock Check? i'm confused :lol: help!

Hello Kaz and welcome to the forum.

Question from me first, are you on the 17" wheels?

We have centres around the UK but i will Goggle those you suggest and check them out for you.

As for the "Rock" comment, they are incorrect, it's actually "ROC", Run Out Compensation. The Hunter machine will not allow this to be missed.

ROC watches/ calibrates buckled wheels/ clamping errors and so on before real time measurements are made. On the Hunter this option cannot be overridden unlike the Corghi Blacktech.

Hello Kaz and welcome to the forum.

Question from me first, are you on the 17" wheels?

We have centres around the UK but i will Goggle those you suggest and check them out for you.

As for the "Rock" comment, they are incorrect, it's actually "ROC", Run Out Compensation. The Hunter machine will not allow this to be missed.

ROC watches/ calibrates buckled wheels/ clamping errors and so on before real time measurements are made. On the Hunter this option cannot be overridden unlike the Corghi Blacktech.

Hi Tony

Yep on 17" wheels and lowered 30mm on springs all round

thanks for the explanation the chap i spoke to said they had a hunter machine and had upgraded to the corghi as it is better, asked how it is better and all he mentioned was the Roc check

thinking to myself if its just that then why upgrade lol

Any decent geo machine locks future measurements unless ROC is performed, so he's talking bollox.

Your going to have a problem with the calibration because the Focus has a live axle at the rear?... This means the rear camber gains after lowering will be negligible but the front substantial.

Issue is there's no natural adjustment avalible for the front camber so your in an "oversteer" situation.

Before i hit the solution button what's your intention for the car?..... Is the mod a cosmetic look or do you have other intentions for the car?

Any decent geo machine locks future measurements unless ROC is performed, so he's talking bollox.

Your going to have a problem with the calibration because the Focus has a live axle at the rear?... This means the rear camber gains after lowering will be negligible but the front substantial.

Issue is there's no natural adjustment avalible for the front camber so your in an "oversteer" situation.

Before i hit the solution button what's your intention for the car?..... Is the mod a cosmetic look or do you have other intentions for the car?

its how i purchased the vehicle, its got the st170 look but not the engine, the previous owner advised the shocks have not been upgraded he just replaced the springs with eibach 30mm, tyre profile is 215.45.17, i have no intention in carrying out any mods to the vehicle

Ok.... Scary arena.

The dampers are oil based but the coils are designed for gas. The 17" wheel off-set will have real issues with the now negative front camber and you intended use "domestic".

Ok so what to do... At this point there's no advantage wasting money confirming what we already know, so what's best is to look for a front camber after market adjusters. This will probability be a camber/ castor strut top-mount optimised adjuster..... Reads complicated, but it's not and it's not that expensive.

Ok.... Scary arena.

The dampers are oil based but the coils are designed for gas. The 17" wheel off-set will have real issues with the now negative front camber and you intended use "domestic".

Ok so what to do... At this point there's no advantage wasting money confirming what we already know, so what's best is to look for a front camber after market adjusters. This will probability be a camber/ castor strut top-mount optimised adjuster..... Reads complicated, but it's not and it's not that expensive.

Car seems to hold pretty well to the road i looked on the web ref the springs and they are 'ford approved'

i really dont want to spend money on it than i have to, just want the tyre wear issues resolved, and was expecting to get a proper alignment done and job done!

shall i not even take it in for a check at least? to see what the results are? or is this a no brainer?

121.99 for the adjusters! :lol: http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/product-Camber-...justers_357.jsp

Those are the adjusters..... Only down side with them is they optimise both angles, so it can be a bit of a balancing act.

Tony money is tight at the moment , vehicle is 8 yrs old, i really dont want to spend money on it than i have to, just want the tyre wear issues resolved, and was expecting to get a proper alignment done and job done!

shall i not even take it in for a check at least? to see what the results are? or is this a no brainer?

Those are the adjusters..... Only down side with them is they optimise both angles, so it can be a bit of a balancing act.

Tony money is tight at the moment , vehicle is 8 yrs old, i really dont want to spend money on it than i have to, just want the tyre wear issues resolved, and was expecting to get a proper alignment done and job done!

I guess your not understanding what Tony is saying ?

He's saying to remedy your situation, it wont be an easy geo check 'fix' you are going to have to spend some money to stop this occuring.

I guess your not understanding what Tony is saying ?

He's saying to remedy your situation, it wont be an easy geo check 'fix' you are going to have to spend some money to stop this occuring.

Sorry for the questions im new to this and learning...

May i ask if i were to just get the alignement done, how long would i expect the tyres to last me without the adjusters? I dont abuse the tyres nor do i drive the vehicle hard

What type of wear would i suffer from?

Really depends on how deep the camber is.... The wear would look like this

post-2-1336737018.jpg

But not as bad.

Thats shocking! My tyres have never been like that and not as bad

How will i know how deep the camber is?

If its easier Tony i can call you to discuss further if you wish