Trolley jack pads

The Corolla has front and rear centre jacking points, which I find useless and don't get the car high enough.

The front I can use the subframe but I need to park the car on blocks of wood first, so would prefer to use the sill. The rear is more difficult and I need to use the sill.

On the Mondeo when I used the sill it would bend and I'm sure the same will happen on this car. Can you get rubber blocks/pads with splits in them that can be put on the sill first?

Before anyone says it I've used wood before and I find it splits in half after a while so I don't trust it.

i would be surprised if the corolla doesnt have side jacking points! Toyota have historically been quite good with providing solid point for jacking, even back in 1992 with my mr2 there are front, back and then 4 sill points for jacking.

Whats the year and model of Corrola?

as a side note, i have a "bag jack" which is based on the technology the fire brigade use to jack vehicals. Its a strong inflatable bag which can be placed at a jacking point (or structure) and inflated using the exhaust from another car. i used it a couple of times while my mr2 was too low to put a conventional jack underneith

The Corolla has front and rear centre jacking points, which I find useless and don't get the car high enough.

The front I can use the subframe but I need to park the car on blocks of wood first, so would prefer to use the sill. The rear is more difficult and I need to use the sill.

On the Mondeo when I used the sill it would bend and I'm sure the same will happen on this car. Can you get rubber blocks/pads with splits in them that can be put on the sill first?

Before anyone says it I've used wood before and I find it splits in half after a while so I don't trust it.

Buy a few ice hockey pucks in hard rubber off ebay and cut a slot in a couple to use under the sill. I used a two part synthetic rubber compound to fill the metal pad on my trolley jack, but for the price of the ice hockey pucks I shouldn't have bothered. Ice Hockey Puck

i would be surprised if the corolla doesnt have side jacking points! Toyota have historically been quite good with providing solid point for jacking, even back in 1992 with my mr2 there are front, back and then 4 sill points for jacking.

Yes it has the 4 sill points as well front and rear centre points. The trouble with the side ones are they're made for the scissor jack, which slots over the sill. If I use a normal jack on this it will bend over time. For some reason using the centre points doesn't get the car very high.

Buy a few ice hockey pucks in hard rubber off ebay and cut a slot in a couple to use under the sill. I used a two part synthetic rubber compound to fill the metal pad on my trolley jack, but for the price of the ice hockey pucks I shouldn't have bothered. Ice Hockey Puck

Funny you mention that as I've just been reading some threads where people have done this and it seems to be a good solution. Looks like I'll be getting a couple of those.

Once I've cut down each side how can I remove the centre part as I don't have any chisels? Guess I'll need to buy one.

I did a similar thing with a couple of jeweller's hard rubber pads; they are about 10cm square and 3cm thick. I used a router to cut a centre slot.

If I had know about the pucks I would have used them, because they would have fitted better onto the top pad on the jack - and they are less expensive.

Once I've cut down each side how can I remove the centre part as I don't have any chisels? Guess I'll need to buy one.

The pucks are 1 inch (25 mm) thick, 3 inches (76 mm) in diameter so you could cut one in half, remove a little from each side and glue them on top of a second puck to make a two inch thick slotted pad ?

• 2 weeks later...
Funny you mention that as I've just been reading some threads where people have done this and it seems to be a good solution. Looks like I'll be getting a couple of those.

I recall someone was making/selling these on DetailingWorld nearly 2 years ago and just looked and you were discussing them in that thread.

I see that there is currently a list of names in a Group Buy thread for another batch to be made.

Group Buy Thread (Requires Login)

Steve O.