What silicone to seal rubber to plastic

The boot seal is letting water in, it's been sealed before but I don't think it was waterproof as it all came off. I resealed it but the stuff I used has turned to mush so need something better. Would the stuff used for fish tanks work like this? I know it doesn't mention rubber so I'm not too sure.

I need to seal the rubber trim to the metal lip and then the lip of the rubber to the plastic trim. So ideally it needs to be black to blend in but if needed can be removed without making a mess.

I bought a tube of the clear silicone I've used on the mondeo but when it's on there's no getting it off. However, it came out white so I think they got the labels mixed up. This hasn't worked at all, just turned to mush, which was probably to do with the frost. That was the stuff you use in bathrooms though.

silicones need to go on dry and remain dry whilst curing

best stuff for damp conditions is "gold label pond sealant" you can even apply it underwater !

can you not get a new seal ?

frosts do various replacement seals at reasonable cost, probably a lot cheaper than OEM

silicones need to go on dry and remain dry whilst curing

best stuff for damp conditions is "gold label pond sealant" you can even apply it underwater !

can you not get a new seal ?

frosts do various replacement seals at reasonable cost, probably a lot cheaper than OEM

That gold label sounds good but for £16 I'll give it a miss, too expensive for me. I cleaned everything before applying the sealant I used and it was dry all day but the frost must've got to it overnight.

I don't actually think there's anything wrong with the seal though, it's not corroded or split. It seems more of a design fault, the water runs down the channels either side of the boot and seems to get under the seal and drips into the boot. It's probably when there is heavy rain and it's getting in faster than it drains. I had 1/4" of water in the boot before I drained it!

That frost site looks good though, loads of stuff on there :o

• 3 months later...

I thought I had sorted this leak but I've still got it and I'm not 100% sure where it's coming in from now! Anyway I need to get some sealant for fixing a rear spoiler and was going to use some along the rubber seal where it had been done before. When the sealant was there before it was keeping the water out so I might as well reseal it but not sure what to go for. There is Tiger Seal, Sikaflex or Sticks Like Sh*t...what would be best?