Mazda MX5 stance

Tony

• 1 month later...

The offset numberplate seems to be something from Japan, and is a bracket mounted to one of the tie downs.

Normally there is a numberplate plinth above the centre of the mouth, (see pic of the Hornet below), when I took mine off, there were about half a dozen holes in the nosecone to fit the blasted thing!

Need to keep the mouth clear as obstructions there can impact on engine cooling.

H

I don't like stretched tyres either. The look doesn't bother me one way or the other, but it does feel like abuse of carefully designed components.

I have no proper basis for making a judgement, since I have never used stretched tyres. I wonder what your view is Tony? I guess you must have seen many such set-ups and had a good chance to judge the consequences in terms of wear etc?

Pulling the tyre wall away from the vertical in this way must reduce the diameter of the outer edges of the tyre and tend to create a convex profile across the width of the tyre. I would expect that profile to be further exaggerated if the tyre is over-inflated to achieve the required stretch. That ought to lead to uneven wear across the width of the tyre and also to elongate the shape of the contact patch in the fore and aft direction, with whatever handling consequences that creates.

Increasing the wheel-width to tyre-width ratio would seem to indicate more un-sprung weight than is needed and that again should have handling consequences, but I am rather assuming that no-one looking for the ultimate in handling would ever fit stretched tyres?

But this is just me theorising, what does your experience say?