What gas is this?

Tony

SAGITAR WE NEED YOU!!

Sorry Tony I haven't a clue what it is. Isopropyl alcohol perhaps, or isopropyl nitrate, both are used as rocket fuels. There are several volatile liquids that are relatively stable in isolation but which are very inflammable when warmed to create vapour and fed with oxygen. Brandy for example as in your Christmas pudding!

A tiny amount of such a liquid if spread around the inner surface of a bottle and warmed slightly will fill the bottle with vapour and lighting it at the neck of the bottle can limit the extent to which air can feed oxygen to the flame - the hot gas exhausting from the neck of the bottle stops air from entering, so you get controlled combustion until the very end when air finally gets in and the last vestige of the gas/vapour explodes. I can remember junior school experiments with hydrogen that gave a very satisfying pop. Combustion is a complex process that depends upon pressure as well as temperature. Cordite in free air burns quite gently but explodes if you constrain it in such a way that the pressure/temperature rises. So I would think that the ratio of the area of the neck of the bottle to the area of cross section of the main part of the bottle will play a part in how quickly it burns.

I can't finish without saying that setting fire to any volatile substance in a closed or constrained container is a very risky business likely to lead to an explosion, personal injury and a spreading fire.

Hi,

At last a question I can answer!

What you and I know as "alcohol" - the stuff in the Vodka bottle - is one of a series of compounds claaed "alcohols".

Each one has a carbon "backbone" andwhat wewe chemists call a funtional group of "OH" where the O is oxygen, and the H is one hydrogen.

The shortest carbon backbone = one carbon atom -

one carbon atom forms methanol

two carbon atoms forms ethanol

three carbon atoms propanol

and so on.

Methanol has a low boiling point (it produces lots of vapour easily) - 65 C

ethanol has a hgher boiling point - about 90C

and so on.

What you're seing is the vapour abovr the liquid burning - it's about the same density as air, and this has been carefully prepared.

DON'T try this at home - vapour / air explosions are messy - especially with a glass vessel in the way.

Interestingly, methanol is poisonous - ehtanol is less toxic (don't try for the third bottle of Vodka) but propanol starts to be more toxic again.

The Meths that you buy is about 5% methanol, 92% ethanol - and the rest is the purple dye and stuff to make it undrinkable...

HTH guys

CP09