Stuttering in 2nd gear on the pug.

Not sure how long it's been like it for but I did a service a couple of months ago, all filters and oil. In 2nd gear the car seems to kangaroo jump like it's choking or something. It's not really bad but noticeable...what can be causing this? Or maybe the car just doesn't like going slowly in 2nd gear?

have you tried driving simularly in first? the reason i ask is first and second are obviously quite light gears, third might be too high a ratio to show simular signs. In my old desiel 307 estate it was a combination of worn engine mounts and sluggish sensors in the inlet (air temp possibly i cant remember exactly). this caused a chuddering effect at low revs as the car couldnt accuratly keep the mixture right so the engine would drop from gentle acceloration to gentle engine braking and added was the worn engine mounts which would normally reduce its effect. I didnt generally notice it in first as i only used it to pull away and third was high torque so didnt show the signs. But trying it low revs slow movement in first did show the same.... give it a little rev and none of the symptoms....

so could be something simple like air tem, Lambda or throttle sensor?

Cheers mate will check those...the missus was driving it on Monday when it was doing it in 2nd so she changed to 1st but the revs were quite high and I didn't notice anything. I will take the car out and try it at low revs.

We did have a problem a while ago with it revving by itself, which turned out to be the coolant sensor. Would a fault code reader pick any of the other sensors up? Might ask the other Tony to check them for me.

most modern cars will display something on the codes, if you have had the coolent sensor faulty then its possible others are around their time too. How old is the car? Most parts have a life span and although sensors tend to last ages it is possible for them to fail. My mr2's Lambda is on its way out, which make the car run rich, idle faster then drop down. but i have a spare new one and sensors arnt normaly expensive thankfuly..... might find the cause of your current problem was a contributing factor to your last!

My mr2's Lambda is on its way out, which make the car run rich, idle faster then drop down.

Funny you say that cos it does that when you first start the car, idles abit faster and then drops. It's a '98 car with just under 100k miles.

Has it just been hapening since the filters were done,the fuel filter would of had a direction of flow?

Not sure TBH Tony, it was driving fine after I did it but you know what women are like when it comes to cars they don't tell you anything! I put the filter on the right way though that I'm sure of but wouldn't that affect driving through all gears?

Right, doesn't seem to do it in 1st gear and only does it now and again in 2nd. The missus said it's more noticeable when slowing down for a corner, she changes to 2nd, gets around it ok and when she accelerates it'll start juddering like it's going to stall. I'll keep an eye on it but maybe it is a sensor going?