Eibach Spring Set

Tango

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TK Chan. This is the data gathered so far.

Stock positions

Front

camber: -30'

castor: data not released but assumed to be +7degrees

toe: .8mm per side

Rear

camber: -55'

toe: +.8mm per side

After lowering we had

Front

camber: -1degree 20'

castor: + 6degrees 10'

toe: Total +5.8mm

Rear

camber: -1degree 40'

toe: total +4.6mm

The after positions shown are the average for each side of the car. As we know the camber/castor positions are fixed so all we did was recover the front/rear toe and allow the coils a few hundred miles to settle, and they did!.

My hope was the additional coil rate would reduce the dynamic camber gain and it has, nevertheless the front inners are showing wear. So our next step is to move the toe position more positive, maybe as much an additional 2mm total. If this proves unsuccessful then the manufacture of front camber adjusters will begin.

Hope this information helps.

TK Chan. This is the data gathered so far.

Stock positions

Front

camber: -30'

castor: data not released but assumed to be +7degrees

toe: .8mm per side

Rear

camber: -55'

toe: +.8mm per side

After lowering we had

Front

camber: -1degree 20'

castor: + 6degrees 10'

toe: Total +5.8mm

Rear

camber: -1degree 40'

toe: total +4.6mm

The after positions shown are the average for each side of the car. As we know the camber/castor positions are fixed so all we did was recover the front/rear toe and allow the coils a few hundred miles to settle, and they did!.

My hope was the additional coil rate would reduce the dynamic camber gain and it has, nevertheless the front inners are showing wear. So our next step is to move the toe position more positive, maybe as much an additional 2mm total. If this proves unsuccessful then the manufacture of front camber adjusters will begin.

Hope this information helps.

Thanks Tony for the invalueable information. Do these data also apply to the UK spec Eibach set which gives 30mm drop all round? I have ordered the spring set from TDIPLC and I will get a reputable garage to do the change over. I has been told that the toe position will be adjusted after 1000 km run in of the new spring coils. I guess that is the correct procedure. Once again, thanks for your help. I'll certainly report the progress as this project unfolds.

Thanks Tony for the invalueable information. Do these data also apply to the UK spec Eibach set which gives 30mm drop all round? I have ordered the spring set from TDIPLC and I will get a reputable garage to do the change over. I has been told that the toe position will be adjusted after 1000 km run in of the new spring coils. I guess that is the correct procedure. Once again, thanks for your help. I'll certainly report the progress as this project unfolds.

The UK spec will be less traumatic toward the camber gain :rolleyes_anim: . The toe position will need immediate recovery then after 1000km re-checking. Please do not allow the car to be lowered without toe correction, otherwise the tyres will wear and the handling will be impaired.

The UK spec will be less traumatic toward the camber gain :thumbsup_anim: . The toe position will need immediate recovery then after 1000km re-checking. Please do not allow the car to be lowered without toe correction, otherwise the tyres will wear and the handling will be impaired.

Thanks Tony for the additional info. I'll see how the UK spec Eibach coils fit into my IS250. I'll talk to the garage when the coils are installed regarding the adjustment of toe position. Actually I am also concerned about the effect on the dampers caused by the shortened coil travel distance. How bad will it be? BTW, what is the tyre pressure used in Tango's car, front and rear? It should also have a direct influence on the ride quality.

The UK spec will be less traumatic toward the camber gain :thumbsup_anim: . The toe position will need immediate recovery then after 1000km re-checking. Please do not allow the car to be lowered without toe correction, otherwise the tyres will wear and the handling will be impaired.

Thanks Tony for the additional info. I'll see how the UK spec Eibach coils fit into my IS250. I'll talk to the garage when the coils are installed regarding the adjustment of toe position. Actually I am also concerned about the effect on the dampers caused by the shortened coil travel distance. How bad will it be? BTW, what is the tyre pressure used in Tango's car, front and rear? It should also have a direct influence on the ride quality.

TKC..I'm running 36 psi all round, but have lower and wider profile then your 18" so I do not know if this information is any good to you? Tony? :closedeyes:

TKC..I'm running 36 psi all round, but have lower and wider profile then your 18" so I do not know if this information is any good to you? Tony? :closedeyes:

36psi reads good to me. TK Chan if you can ask then to do a pictorial during the fitment, i realize this may not be possible but there is no harm in asking!

The UK spec will be less traumatic toward the camber gain :rolleyes_anim: . The toe position will need immediate recovery then after 1000km re-checking. Please do not allow the car to be lowered without toe correction, otherwise the tyres will wear and the handling will be impaired.

TKC..I'm running 36 psi all round, but have lower and wider profile then your 18" so I do not know if this information is any good to you? Tony? :thumbsup_anim:

36psi reads good to me. TK Chan if you can ask then to do a pictorial during the fitment, i realize this may not be possible but there is no harm in asking!

Tony, I'll see if I can do the pictorial myself while watching the work in progress subject to their agreement.

Tango, thanks for the info. Will 36 psi a bit soft for the rear? The factory recommends 35 psi for front and 38 psi for rear regardless of 16" or 17" wheels for speed ride within 100 mph. I don't know if the same also applies to 18" and 19" wheels or is there a formula for reference. :sad01_anim:

36 psi was the pressure we decided to trial after fitting the wheels and tyres, with the tyre wear to be monitored for wear characteristics to indicate whether the pressures need to be increased and/or varied front to back. Most of the time, especially on long motorway runs, I am on my own in the car so loading is fairly light :rolleyes_anim:

The factory recommendation should also be treated as a starting point as they do not allow for variations in tyre compound, tread pattern and sizes (the IS200 factory recommendation was not optimum and I believe most people who care, including myself now run 35 psi front and rear).

My IS 250 has covered 3000 miles since the fitting and tyre wear appears uniform across the whole tread, although there are indications of very localised wear on the very inner edge of the front tyres not related to the pressure settings. :thumbsup_anim: (see Tony's previous post).

36 psi was the pressure we decided to trial after fitting the wheels and tyres, with the tyre wear to be monitored for wear characteristics to indicate whether the pressures need to be increased and/or varied front to back. Most of the time, especially on long motorway runs, I am on my own in the car so loading is fairly light :unsure:

The factory recommendation should also be treated as a starting point as they do not allow for variations in tyre compound, tread pattern and sizes (the IS200 factory recommendation was not optimum and I believe most people who care, including myself now run 35 psi front and rear).

My IS 250 has covered 3000 miles since the fitting and tyre wear appears uniform across the whole tread, although there are indications of very localised wear on the very inner edge of the front tyres not related to the pressure settings. :( (see Tony's previous post).

My tyres are Yokohama Advance Sport and the shop said 36 psi is recommended by the factory. I think it should be the right pressure to use. My IS 250 is for leisure driving, still taking the public transport to work. :D

36 psi was the pressure we decided to trial after fitting the wheels and tyres, with the tyre wear to be monitored for wear characteristics to indicate whether the pressures need to be increased and/or varied front to back. Most of the time, especially on long motorway runs, I am on my own in the car so loading is fairly light :unsure:

My IS 250 has covered 3000 miles since the fitting and tyre wear appears uniform across the whole tread, although there are indications of very localised wear on the very inner edge of the front tyres not related to the pressure settings. :( (see Tony's previous post).

My tyres are Yokohama Advance Sport and the shop said 36 psi is recommended by the factory. I think it should be the right pressure to use. My IS 250 is for leisure driving, still taking the public transport to work. :D

Reads good..... Just watch the wear initially and adjust accordingly.

36 psi was the pressure we decided to trial after fitting the wheels and tyres, with the tyre wear to be monitored for wear characteristics to indicate whether the pressures need to be increased and/or varied front to back. Most of the time, especially on long motorway runs, I am on my own in the car so loading is fairly light :D

My IS 250 has covered 3000 miles since the fitting and tyre wear appears uniform across the whole tread, although there are indications of very localised wear on the very inner edge of the front tyres not related to the pressure settings. :D (see Tony's previous post).

Tony..had my front wheels off today and I'm pleased to say I have even tyre wear on both inner and outer edges :unsure: Well I think that's OK :( perhaps I'm running under inflated and wearing both edges :(

36 psi was the pressure we decided to trial after fitting the wheels and tyres, with the tyre wear to be monitored for wear characteristics to indicate whether the pressures need to be increased and/or varied front to back. Most of the time, especially on long motorway runs, I am on my own in the car so loading is fairly light :D

My IS 250 has covered 3000 miles since the fitting and tyre wear appears uniform across the whole tread, although there are indications of very localised wear on the very inner edge of the front tyres not related to the pressure settings. :D (see Tony's previous post).

Tony..had my front wheels off today and I'm pleased to say I have even tyre wear on both inner and outer edges :unsure: Well I think that's OK :( perhaps I'm running under inflated and wearing both edges :(

Valuable up-date.... When are you coming back in? I would like to measure how things are settling.

Tony..I'm in Chertsey for the next three days so could call in around 4 pm Thursday or Friday (Thursday would be better for me).

Thursday is good for me?.... i will confirm tomorrow.

I have you booked for 4.pm :ph34r_anim:

Tony..I'm in Chertsey for the next three days so could call in around 4 pm Thursday or Friday (Thursday would be better for me).

Thursday is good for me?.... i will confirm tomorrow.

I have you booked for 4.pm :ph34r_anim:

OK, see you then

36 psi was the pressure we decided to trial after fitting the wheels and tyres, with the tyre wear to be monitored for wear characteristics to indicate whether the pressures need to be increased and/or varied front to back. Most of the time, especially on long motorway runs, I am on my own in the car so loading is fairly light ;)

TK Chan...Good news. After checking the settings and tyre wear today @ WIM after 4000 miles, it doesn't look like we have a tyre wear issue with the resulting camber reset from the lowering ;)

Personally i had real concerns regarding the final resting positions for the camber. Measurements @ 100th of a millimetre were taken at the tyre then compared to returning "fine-tunes".

After the coils settled "tune two" we imaged/corrected the calibration. Some 4 thousand miles later we compared the chassis positions again (today) and i am amazed...

The deviation from the last image and today's after 4 thousand miles in respect to the longitudinal toe was!!!!!! 1/10th of a millimeter off over all four wheels ;)

The tyre wear is even, correlating exactly to the Geometric positions ;) I must add this is only the second time in 25yrs a car has come back for a fine-tune and i had nothing to do!!! Good for you Tango and at last good for Lexus.

Personally i had real concerns regarding the final resting positions for the camber. Measurements @ 100th of a millimetre were taken at the tyre then compared to returning "fine-tunes".

After the coils settled "tune two" we imaged/corrected the calibration. Some 4 thousand miles later we compared the chassis positions again (today) and i am amazed...

The deviation from the last image and today's after 4 thousand miles in respect to the longitudinal toe was!!!!!! 1/10th of a millimeter off over all four wheels :D

The tyre wear is even, correlating exactly to the Geometric positions ;) I must add this is only the second time in 25yrs a car has come back for a fine-tune and i had nothing to do!!! Good for you Tango and at last good for Lexus.

Thanks Tony and Tango. This is good news. It means the Eibach springs work well with the original factory config, except the adjustment of toe position. ;) Hope I can receive the set after the Easter Holiday and have them installed before end of April. :D

Hi TK,

Your springs have just arrived, so we'll send them after the Easter holiday as requested.

Thank you very much for choosing TDi as your supplier - I really appriate it :blush:

Mark

Mark, a thumbs up for your great service :thumbsup_anim: . If I had known WIM sooner, I would not have wasted 3 months waiting empty handed :whistle: . Yes, please send them after Easter.

TK

Hi TK,

Your springs have just arrived, so we'll send them after the Easter holiday as requested.

Thank you very much for choosing TDi as your supplier - I really appriate it :D

Mark

Mark, a thumbs up for your great service :whistle: . If I had known WIM sooner, I would not have wasted 3 months waiting empty handed :blush: . Yes, please send them after Easter.

TK

Good stuff.... TK Chan tell the boys/girls in HK we are here to help! not only in products but all manner of assistance, and it's free!! I must say i have seen a few links from HK..... is this your doing :thumbsup_anim:

Good stuff.... TK Chan tell the boys/girls in HK we are here to help! not only in products but all manner of assistance, and it's free!! I must say i have seen a few links from HK..... is this your doing :thumbsup_anim:

:blush: Well, I did spread the news a bit that I am getting the UK spec Eibach springs soon. I could be the first one here to have them :whistle: