Neg camber accord tourer / estate

minkymulbs

I had some eibach springs fitted by wim a while back and when the geo was checked I was running 2 degree neg camber on the rears. Now the suspension has settled its about 1.75 degree neg camber on the rear.

I was wondering if there was any adjustable arms for the accord tourer or if anyone knows of a solution as Ive trawled the net with no luck at all.

Also what effects would such neg camber cause to the car accept abnormal tyre wearon the inside edge?

Thanks

Mulbs

Before we proceed to far what are the front camber positions?

Tony, I had it checked last week on a hunter system and the front was green 0 degree IIRC.

Ok that's pants..... Very understeery. Can you display or pm me the registration number to identify the vehicle and i'll look into the front camber adjusters.

Tony pm'd you the reg

Ive just popped to the garage and grabbed the print out

It say Honda : Accord/Vigor :2003 - : rest of world

camber left front = NEG 0.49

camber right front = 0.02

camber left rear = NEG 2.08

camber right rear = NEG 2.02

only other red bit was right rear toe = 0.12

Sorry I got the figures abit wrong before

Tony pm'd you the reg

Ive just popped to the garage and grabbed the print out

It say Honda : Accord/Vigor :2003 - : rest of world

camber left front = NEG 0.49

camber right front = 0.02

camber left rear = NEG 2.08

camber right rear = NEG 2.02

only other red bit was right rear toe = 0.12

Sorry I got the figures abit wrong before

i understand the numbers... Got your index and i'll be on the case tomorrow.

Thanks Tony

Stupid question time!

what sort of camber should I be looking for on the front?

Im assuming its not a simple fit job it will need a geo setup as well?

If thats the case I dont want to be rude about any local outfits but they wouldnt even know where to start if its being set up outside of oem settings. I see you have recommended outlets can these do said adjustments and fit the part as well?

thanks yet again

Mulbs

Am I right to assume there is no solution to correct the rear negative camber issue or is this not such a problem?

I'm not worried about the rear, the idea about the modified car is to calibrate the mods, rather than calibrate them out, that's why you cannot use the OEM data.

Am I right to assume there is no solution to correct the rear negative camber issue or is this not such a problem?

Im also an accord owner.. allbeit a saloon version.

there are new tie rods that you can purchase that are fully adjustable, but they cost around £150 for the pair.

the accord 7th gen is notorious for the rear camber issues, and as far as im aware its to make the car handle better and stop the back end stepping out.

can you confirm that tony ?

My car was fine before I decided to lower the car using a set of eibach pro kit springs. They say the drop is about 30mm but the diesel lump and trans is heavier than the petrol so the drop is a little more. Im not complaining as when you modify a car you have got to expect changes its the ying and yang effect lol.

There are loads of options for the saloon mostly via the acura tsx USDM version of the accord. However there no off the shelf options for the tourer version sadly, altho I know on a few forums there was talk of someone making a bespoke adjustable arm to allow full adjustment.

However it would appear my rear camber is somewhat of a mute point as the lack of front camber seems to be an issue. I knew there was some kind of an problem with the set up feel wise, just always assumed it was the rear camber just goes to show its not wise to assume.

Had my thinking cap on today and was wondering whether the std shocks could be the cause of the camber issue. I had the springs changed at about 35k miles and its now done 50k. Im thinking perhaps now its lowered the shocks cant handle that range of movement and what with the heavier diesel front end its made the issue worse.

The reason I ask is I need to work out whether to save up for some more suitable shocks (poss konis but open to recs) as well as the adjustable ball joints.

However they feel okay only gripe would be on motorways undulations it can feel a bit bouncy if that makes sense.

Now your hitting the difficult bit.....

The reason you have this camber issue is the rear "articulation points" between the unsprung and the sprung chassis is perpendicular, when the lowering coils are fitted the camber curve is moved. The front sprung and unsprung articulation points are near vertical, so there's very little change in the camber.

The fact the car is a diesel is irrelevant because the lowering coils are a higher rate than the OEM, in addition the suspension "bump/ droop" window would be carefully calculated by the coil manufacturer.

If your finding the front rebound bouncy then yes a gas damper is wise but you really need to analyze your immediate problem first in my opinion?

The front camber positions are very wrong as is the damper stroke radius between the unsprung and sprung chassis, i would be inclined to invest in this obvious problem first, then asses the outcome.

as is the damper stroke radius between the unsprung and sprung chassis

Tony sorry could you explain this in the idiots guide way please

I think I will take your advice and save up to do the easy bit first, cant afford it just at the mo due to xmas ect.............

Welcome to the world of geometry...there is no idiot guide it's a complex subject. What I do if I don't understand what Tony said is break it down into sections, don't try reading and understanding in one go :D

Unsprung chassis

All parts that move under or attached to the suspension.

Sprung chassis

All parts that receive or move above the suspension

Correcting the obvious camber issue by investing in adjusters has a "flexible" future no matter what you decide regarding dampers.

the damper stroke radius between the unsprung and sprung chassis.

I thought a suspension damper only had linear travel?

It does but the damper position varies between vertical and perpendicular, so the radius of the camber curve will change if the sprung chassis is lower.

I think I've got it Tony. Let me run this by you. With the wishbone perpendicular to the road surface and a damper with 4" of travel( 2" compression and 2" in extension) The wheel will experience a positive camber in extension but a negative camber in compression.

If the car is lowered so that the wishbone is now at a 45 degree inclination the same damper will now only allow the wheel to have greater/ lesser levels of negative camber.

It's a trigonometry problem, with a wishbone at 45 degree of arc from the road surface being the worst case.

I hope I've got that right?