UFO's over Hemel, i kid you not......

Tony

To document..... 6.40pm i decided to watch the firework displays happening around me, at 6.41 i noticed an orange ball appearing over the bottom neighbour's tree, high in the sky, the ball remained the same size as it was coming toward me from the right but arcing toward the left without changing size or light intensity, once to my left to light stopped! and then went up, fading along the way.

Within seconds four balls of the same light intensity, at height approached from my far left, they where staggered in a vertical line traveling in the opposite direction to the single globe i first saw. One by one they disappeared, starting from the top.

At the same time as they disappeared another ball appeared on the right, it had the same size and light intensity as the first and appeared to follow the same path, but just faded away without zooming up.

Then to my left once again there was three balls following the opposite arc and staggered vertical line, all the balls were the same size and same light intensity, all faded away.

This entire episode was within 20 min, there was no sound or the normal flashing lights you see on aircraft, in addition my proximity to Heathrow normally means aircraft circle my house, tonight after the "experience" they are flying in between the two points.

I would guestmate the objects where many thousands of feet high and two of three times to the size of the aircraft flashing lights triangle.

Anyway i took pictures on my Brownie, the light "drift" is not a sign of speed, more a sign of camera wobble....

Don't expect ET waving out of the window....

post-2-1289073512.jpg

post-2-1289073557.jpg

post-2-1289073573.jpg

post-2-1289073588.jpg

post-2-1289073604.jpg

post-2-1289073620.jpg

post-2-1289073638.jpg

post-2-1289073655.jpg

post-2-1289073673.jpg

post-2-1289073688.jpg

post-2-1289073704.jpg

post-2-1289073729.jpg

post-2-1289073754.jpg

post-2-1289073769.jpg

Absolutly crap images but my Brownie is hardly top notch.......

Speed and direction is my point, if these were lanterns there's no way the direction makes sense, nor the speed, the first one was traveling faster than the airplanes around it.

I remain................... Gobsmacked.

I would say they're lanterns mate :huh:

Speed and directions don't mix.

I've seen them go in different directions before, depends on the wind. A couple of those photos show the characteristics of lanterns though and what with it being fireworks night I'd imagine alot of people are using them.

Lanterns, they seem fast as they are closer than the aeroplanes ;) I've seen quite a few over the last week or ten days and last night saw two pairs that were tied together and therefore "floated" some distance apart but constant. Also the thermals affect how fast they go up and direction.

I'm opened minded but the size and the speed from different directions makes me feel unsure, plus the first one used a fast arc "10 miles" then shot straight up...... In 5sec's it was gone.

I wouldn't dismiss lanterns as a plausible explanation but i would like an explanation to how they acted in the fashion i saw, cos no bloody candle in a basket could move as fast as these objects, in different directions and different heights at the same time.