Lexus Geometry positions

Tony

As some may know the Lexus IS200/300 had some dire front tyre wear issues due to Lexus under-estimating the dynamics. Some years ago LOC ( Lexus Owners Club) asked wim to investigate the reason in an attempt to help the club members. The front Geometry dynamics was re-written by wim then proven on some donor cars. The new positions resolved the wear issue enabling me the pleasure of meeting and correcting many members cars since the Dealers were not able to deviate from the positions commanded by Lexus.

One of wim's services is to validate Geometry reports for accuracy and general workmanship since the report is complicated and generally hard to understand.... Over the last month i have validated some reports set by the Lexus main dealers and the final positions are 'wim's' :lol:

Seemingly they have now silently adopted the wim set-up.. Personally i am pleased that Lexus customers can now resolve their tyre wear problems but i also now realize the solution had a value and i gave it away :lol:

Cats airborne :lol:

You may have given it away :lol: but i will always come to see the Dr for geo,Lexus had the chance to rectify/understand the problems with the IS when they were getting complaints and their way of rectifying the prob was to get us the consumer to pay for new tyres every 5k, :lol: O.K my hats go off to them for admitting and realising that there is a prob now.....but hey its too late for this consumer. :lol:

And anyway the coffee is much nicer at your place :D

I can just see the slogan now

Crafted by Lexus, Straightened by WIM :D

I think the adoption should be noisy rather than silent Tony - give Lex GB a kick rather than the cat :D

Ever the star twinkle :D ... 'Straightened by wim :lol: '... Understand everyone i am not bitter by this evolution only wiser. wim is genuinely proud the Lexus have adopted the new Geometry dynamics. Obvious now is the fact that the wim settings had a global UK value..

• 4 months later...

Hi!

I have a Lexus IS200 and I'm from Portgual. My car just like the ohters suffer have the front suspension geometry problem. I can see that it can be fixed but I am in Portugal and I dont know any shop that have any experience on chaging the geometry values other than the specified values.

Do you know if all Lexus dealers arround the world already make the changes acording to the 'wim's' final positions? If not how can I tell o shop or even Lexus to ajust the geometry so it gets how it should be?

Thank you all!

Hi!

I have a Lexus IS200 and I'm from Portgual. My car just like the ohters suffer have the front suspension geometry problem. I can see that it can be fixed but I am in Portugal and I dont know any shop that have any experience on chaging the geometry values other than the specified values.

Do you know if all Lexus dealers arround the world already make the changes acording to the 'wim's' final positions? If not how can I tell o shop or even Lexus to ajust the geometry so it gets how it should be?

Thank you all!

Welcome to wim pds... Even more so since you are our first over-seas member :crying_anim: Officially wim's positions are not allowed to be used by Lexus dealerships since this is in violation of Lexus's official calibration. The fact that some have is a sign of frustration despite the violation protocol. If you pm me all the cars details... including any modifications i will reply with the cars set-up calibration figures.

not taking anything away from Tony, but it is possible that the engineers at Lexus, or Toyota may have eventually solved the issue as well.................

I've always believed the issue was caused because of the engine, and that they were still using the original geometry settings from the Altezza, and it wasn't until the heavier 6 cylinder cars were used for high mileage runs in Europe that the issue came to the fore, remember in Japan most cars only cover small distances.

this is not just an IS200 issue, in the US they was having the same issues with the 300............

not taking anything away from Tony, but it is possible that the engineers at Lexus, or Toyota may have eventually solved the issue as well.................

I've always believed the issue was caused because of the engine, and that they were still using the original geometry settings from the Altezza, and it wasn't until the heavier 6 cylinder cars were used for high mileage runs in Europe that the issue came to the fore, remember in Japan most cars only cover small distances.

this is not just an IS200 issue, in the US they was having the same issues with the 300............

First i must say i am never offended. Learning is an ongoing process for everyone. To your points. I think long before wim was on the case the problem must have been realised but the delay opened a litigation "can-O-worms" and conveniently smothered by Lexus. When LOC contacted wim some years ago i asked for some test cars to gather chassis data. An obvious flaw was the castor positions, which are not adjustable on the Lex... After some research i found there are three manufactured positions for the castor globally.

1: Asian

2: European

3: UK

Most cars in the UK have Asian castor positions (non-adjustable) and most showed a near perfect camber position of -30' as suggested by Lexus. So why the aggressive tyre wear? Well this is why... http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/ind...p?showtopic=463

With the test cars a simple corrective position at the camber resulted with a violated toe, as this is corrected the pivotal action pulled the non-adjustable castor into UK spec..... simple as that.

I will confess this particular result came rather easy and i was very lucky to hit the nail on the head first time.