Honda S2000 Poly install

Tony

The S2000 has biblical problems when it comes the chassis calibration. Basically the adjuster bolts and the bushing's metal core are metals in conflict meaning they fuse together worse than a skint mate on a night out.

This car has handling issues that needed attention and typically the adjusters were locked solid, after a few weeks of plus-gas we tried again to no avail. The most economical option is to cut the wishbones and trailing arms out and replace the bushings with Poly's..... When i say "economical" i use that in the most conservative fashion since this job is very time consuming.

Today's mission is to remove the arms.....

It begins

post-2-1283281972.jpg

post-2-1283281982.jpg

post-2-1283281993.jpg

post-2-1283282007.jpg

In goes the heavy tools

post-2-1283282068.jpg

post-2-1283282078.jpg

post-2-1283282089.jpg

One by one they fall

post-2-1283282142.jpg

post-2-1283282194.jpg

The offender

post-2-1283282227.jpg

After many hours

post-2-1283282290.jpg

And a lot of mess

post-2-1283282326.jpg

Sorry to say the castor bolts were also locked solid and had to be cut out, these have been ordered at an additional cost of £130+ for the pair, also the rear drop-links didn't survive but i have some of our own adjustable links for the MX5 that fit so the owner can have them.

Next stage is to wait for the parts to ensure we have all we need before the bushings are removed..... To be continued :D

Looks familiar!

Sounds expensive too :D

It's your car :blink:

We wasn't expecting problems with the castor bolts but what can you do?.... The drop-links are custom links made of alloy and adjustable, you can have them to keep costs down a bit.

FYI the castor bolts were an utter arse to remove simply because of the vertical position...... Still their out now so job done.

Looks familiar!

Sounds expensive too :blink:

It's your car :o

We wasn't expecting problems with the castor bolts but what can you do?.... The drop-links are custom links made of alloy and adjustable, you can have them to keep costs down a bit.

FYI the castor bolts were an utter arse to remove simply because of the vertical position...... Still their out now so job done.

Cheers, didn't realise the castor bolts were that much. Beans and water this month then!

If only Honda put some grease on the damn things, there are many thread on the S2000 forums about siezed bolts - including letters to Honda UK to try and get them to offer reduced prices on the replacements parts. Didn't get anywhere though :D

I supply all the safety equipment and Joe was wearing it but if you look at the images sparks and flames were bouncing from all directions, seemingly he got caught. Tony B is having some time with the baby so fair play he's agreed to come in if needed.

There's no rush getting it done to be honest, happy to wait a bit longer. I guess you want to clear some space though.

Did you manage to find out if the old castor nuts? can be used still, i cant see that being damaged and the price of them is robbery.

Essex Racer, the bolt is £8, its the £26 collar (which has been cut off) and the £40! yes £40 nut that make it expensive.

There's no rush getting it done to be honest, happy to wait a bit longer. I guess you want to clear some space though.

Did you manage to find out if the old castor nuts? can be used still, i cant see that being damaged and the price of them is robbery.

Essex Racer, the bolt is £8, its the £26 collar (which has been cut off) and the £40! yes £40 nut that make it expensive.

I have no idea what's been cut or why but one way or another we will deal with the final price. The drop-links alone that i'm giving you retail for £75+ the pair and i'm doing this to avoid any price deviations but you car is the S2000 from hell, nothing moves.

Out of sight of the images all the front plastic wheel well inner liners had to be removed so heat could be applied without setting the car on fire almost all of the retaining tabs broke, so these have been replaced. The bolts on the rear trailing arms we "reverse snap" the bolt, the OSR wasn't having none of it so we had to cut it out but preserve the arm to keep cost down. Consequently the adjuster trail has been extended so we now need to weld and grind a new trail.

Update

Joe had to attend the eye clinic today because his eye got worse overnight. Xray found there was metal behind the eye so unfortunately for Joe he had an injection in the eye and then it was removed from the socket to be cleaned :sick01:

Tony Barber was intending to come in an attend to the S2000 but i'm afraid his attention is now toward his brother, quite rightly so.

Update

Joe had to attend the eye clinic today because his eye got worse overnight. Xray found there was metal behind the eye so unfortunately for Joe he had an injection in the eye and then it was removed from the socket to be cleaned ;)

Tony Barber was intending to come in an attend to the S2000 but i'm afraid his attention is now toward his brother, quite rightly so.

F :sick01: ing hell! Hope you feel better soon Joe :)

Maybe safety equipment needs replacing for better stuff as it could've cost him his sight? :(