My Skyline GTST project

liner33

When i packed up drag racing i was looking for something for trackdays and road use it had to be quick, tunable, seat 3 people and be able to be used as a car full time if need be. This dictates that a compromise must be reached, What makes a good trackcar would be hard to live with if like me you live out in the sticks, on the track its nice to have a full cage and a single seat but you cant get the family in and so on...........

I decided on a Skyline, it had to be a R33 but i didnt have the cash to buy AND tune a GTR so a GTST it was.

I bought the car at the end of 2005 it already had tein suspension, red stuff brake pads , the recaros out of an Evo, bodykit and a few other things fitted but the engine was pretty stock it came with a dyno sheet showing 270hp at the flywheel

First mods were the normal stuff ie induction kit, de-cat, turbo elbow, downpipe, decent plugs coupled with a boost increase via bleed valve to .85bar, shortly afterward i fitted a nitrous kit. Im pretty comfortable after using it on bikes and in all honesty a little surprised its not used more on the Jap scene, but i was spraying 50hp into the car and it was a good all round package.

But , its pretty well known the stock clutch on these cars doesnt like much more than 300hp so it would cry mercy when the nos was used so cue stage 2

A exceedy R32 gtr clutch was fitted along with a GTR fuel pump, power fc, boost controller and front mount intercooler , the car was remapped with 330hp at the flywheel, following the last nitrous experience i fitted a progressive controller and upped the nitrous a little to 75hp but off nitrous the car was very laggy , in hot weather the intercooler plumbing was working as a heat sink and heating up the air , off boost the car felt really flat and generally not fun to drive. Proof if it were needed that big dyno figures dont reflect what the car is like to drive

Around this point i did my first trackday at Goodwood but it quickly showed the brakes to be naff, they were cooked and juddering after 2 laps , i managed to source an new set of R33 GTR brembo discs and calipers and fitted them along with braided lines and servo stopper to eliminate flex on the bulkhead.

Cue more mods , i was convinced the main problem with the car was the way the air was getting heated up by all the intercooler piping sitting over the engine , i researched a little and found that Thor racing offerred a mod to the stock plenum which did away with all that intercooler pipework so the car was booked it and had some 740cc injectors fitted, a z32 AFM, the stock turbo was sent off for a stage 3 rebuild at Universal turbos the result was 361hp at the hubs on their dyno and a lovely progressive power curve now running 1.2 bar of boost.

The nitrous went back on contrary to Thors advice but i found that above 50hp the wastegate was struggling to vent enough pressure and i am getting boost spikes resulting in high knock readings , so the progressive system was dumped and i reduced the jetting to 25hp for normal use, it doesnt sound like much but hitting the nos off boost really gets the tubby spinning and it holds that power between gear changes. I up the jetting to 50hp for track use of course sod the knock readings

Due to the cooling effect you get with nitrous with a turboed engine you normally end up with a bit more power than the nitrous alone so that 25hp is probably nearer 40hp so still very noticable.

Back when i bought the car beginning 2006

4543.jpg

New wheels added

XSP_6853.jpg

Engine with the plenum mod

4740-1.jpg

Of course i had a decent ICE system but most of it was hidden the main amp was in the spare wheel well under a false floor

Also added Whiteline front and rear ARB , and bushes throughout , handling was very good but traction was a real problem , on nitrous it would spin in 3rd gear

Best 1/4 mile was a 12.8@116

Here is a vid of a slower run

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=...23587008701285#

Usual story though when there was nothing left to do i got bored so sold it to a nice guy in Holland where its been cleaning up on the show circuit

SNV80782.jpg

SNV80765.jpg

Very nice skyline mate, I love these motors :D I didn't realise you was Richf on DW, I took a photo of your motor at Japfest 09

post-438-1280657785.jpg

Yes i am a forum whore :angry::)B)

Tim from Envy detailed it a couple of times but i do it all myself now

Yes i am a forum whore B):):o

Tim from Envy detailed it a couple of times but i do it all myself now

:angry: I did read the thread on DW from when he detailed it, lovely looking motor :D