New camera time

Rich

Been having a play with the camera for the last hour and boy there is so much more to this than my bridge camera! :rolleyes: Now I've been holding it for a while it does feel heavy so that will take some getting use to.

Jessops were offering £50 off the 70-300 Tamron lens making it £119 when bought with this camera but I've decided to stick with Nikon as I've read mixed reviews about it.

Just the memory card, case and tripod to order now...

Ordered a Sandisk 8GB Extreme SDHC Class 6 memory card yesterday, £22 delivered from mymemory. I will probably get a 4GB as a backup but that should do for now.

Still trying to decide on what bag I want, I would prefer a backpack but on our days out I already wear one with our stuff in, which makes it abit awkward. A shoulder bag would be better but they also look like traditional camera bags so may attract unwanted attention...decisions decisions! :)

I think the backpack ones are great if you're going to be carrying it around for a while as the weight can get a bit too much on one shoulder. Plus you can get bigger backpack ones as well, that way you can carry one bag with the camera equipment in plus all your other stuff meaning you only need one bag.

That's part of the reason why I got such a small bag as my second camera bag, firstly it was just to be compact, but also as it's so small it isn't entirely obvious it's got an SLR in it as it doesn't look like it's big enough.

Again though I think a visit to Jessops is the best option, ask them to borrow a D5000 from the display (save you bringing your own) and stick it in different bags, wear them and see how they feel.

How are you getting on with the new camera? Know what you mean about all the settings, I don't know what half of the stuff on mine does - actually only recently discovered the fn button on the front of the camera! :)

They didn't have any backpacks in Jessops when I bought the camera otherwise I would've looked, only had the small shoulder bags. Gonna scan the photography forums and maybe pick one up cheap to see if I like it. A small compact bag will be ideal for storing the camera when not in use though, the backpack can be put away then.

Only really used the camera last night and it's very good, I think I made the right choice :) but I'll be glad to get abit more zoom though. I really need to read up more on ISO and shutter speed to see how they work together with the aperture. One thing I didn't know the D5000 had is a built-in help system. If it's in aperture mode it will say you change this to blur the background. If the camera thinks it's too dark it will suggest using the flash, really is a useful feature for a begineer.

There is a book that's highly recommended for the D5000 but I'm not a big reader and it would be a waste of money. But I found a link to some video tutorials showing how to navigate the menus and use the features - D5000 guide

There is also one for the D90, which might help you - D90 guide

That's unusual, the one in Enfield usually has a decent selection of different bags - there's also quite a large Jessops at Brent Cross but I've never been to that one. If you're in ever in the area you're welcome to pop round and I'd be happy to show you the bags I've got if you just want to see what they're like.

I've heard about that guide system on the newer cameras and it does sound really good, for people like me that would make life a lot easier! I'm with you in terms of books, I'd never read it either! Cheers for that link, that might come in handy as an easy way to get to grips with more of the camera's features.

Was having a bit of a head to head with the Nikon and Canon over the weekend, and was surprised to find that with slow shutter speeds it was hard to keep the Canon's shot in focus with the camera in hand, while the Nikon even with a 1/8 shutter speed was still perfectly in focus. Not necessarily that relevant as you'd normally put the camera on a tripod for slow shutter shots but still interesting that the Nikon's vibration reduction appears far more effective than the Canon's.

It was only a small store so that's probably why...there were 2 staff to about 10 customers! I never thought a camera shop could get so busy. Thanks for the offer of viewing the bags, will bear it in mind :)

I've also read the Nikon is better at slow shutter speeds than the Canon, even more so at higer ISO's, the grain isn't as obvious.

Memory card turned up yesterday and it's very fast, although not tried it with continuous shooting yet. Compared to the standard SD card I was using it copies over to the computer in record time! :)

Also got this bag today and gonna get a normal backpack to keep it in for our days out. I may get a dedicated camera backpack if I feel the need.

Nice one, looks like it's all coming together :smile_anim:

Yep, just need to find somewhere to buy a zoom lens that will get it here quick. Trouble is alot of the grey imports are shipped from overseas or the companies don't have very good feedback. Once I have that and a couple of more memory cards I should be sorted :o

• 2 weeks later...