New to photography

Steve-O

I've been snapping away doing my worst and I think I have used just over half of my 16gb card at 15mp! the cameras saying 1200+ images...

Looking forward to the pics! :D

Are those JPEGs btw, as mine only gets about 720 images or so on a 16gb card when I have it as RAW+JPEG? On mine a JPEG is roughly half the size of a RAW, about 11mb for a RAW and 5mb for a JPEG.

Yeah its jpeg only for now and average 2.10mb in size roughly - admittedly i think the camera came out the box on 10mp and i ramped it up after so not all images are 15mp but the majority are...

Going to copy the pics/movies over on the pc later (and upload onto flickr tomorrow)tonight since its taking ages at the moment and tying the pc up :huh:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right here are a couple of images - the video is a bit too big and didnt come out at its best anyway so wont be uploading this particular footage.

However here are some of my better efforts. I mainly experimented with under exposure due to high brightness levels and ISO which was at 100. 'F' apperture values varied between 5.6 and 13 i think. What the pictures dont convey at the tombs is how bloody hot and humid it was. My hands were sweating and it was a real effort to concentrate try and take a good photo.

Boeing 737-200 at 500mph/38,000 feet :

4831499117_1aa2e51007.jpg

Plane banking :

4831503207_414b958de7.jpg

4832116612_126ce234be.jpg

One from my balcony:

4831510087_9071b679c9.jpg

Tomb of the kings :

4832096144_550011fa0d.jpg

Eerry stairway out of tomb:

4831495955_c14a37c796.jpg

Random mosiac shot:

4832130908_b1ab60fa6d.jpg

Loads more but its quite hard work sifting through all the images - takes forever lol

Cheers guys :)

The plane and stairs/tomb pics were on the kit lens and the balcony was using a borrowed 17-300 canon lens. I can definitely see the need for both lenses, I am guessing there is a all in one solution but it's big money?

The plane and stairs/tomb pics were on the kit lens and the balcony was using a borrowed 17-300 canon lens. I can definitely see the need for both lenses, I am guessing there is a all in one solution but it's big money?

What's the kit lens? My brother has the 18-200 on his Canon and that really is all the lens you'll need unless you're a pro.

What's the kit lens? My brother has the 18-200 on his Canon and that really is all the lens you'll need unless you're a pro.

Usually 18-55mm.

From memory I think the kit kens is 18-55 is. I found the 17-300 could not take panoramic shots (could not zoom out wide enough), which is where the kit lens faired better :)

Nice photos Steve, are these taken with the standard kit lens? What's the zoom like on it?

Sorry rich forgot to answer your question... its quite hard postign on an iphone :)

In terms of the zoom its not a patch on a 17-300 lens. The best way to describe it really is the 18-55 seems to be best at portrait photos and landscapes, whereas the 17-300 doesn't capture landscapes as well but can zoom in on objects a long way away and produce a nice crisp photo. Its also not good at close ups.. This is purely based on my experience in cyprus - there could indeed be user error unless someone can confirm my findings ? :)

Nice photos Steve, are these taken with the standard kit lens? What's the zoom like on it?

Sorry rich forgot to answer your question... its quite hard postign on an iphone :)

In terms of the zoom its not a patch on a 17-300 lens. The best way to describe it really is the 18-55 seems to be best at portrait photos and landscapes, whereas the 17-300 doesn't capture landscapes as well but can zoom in on objects a long way away and produce a nice crisp photo. Its also not good at close ups.. This is purely based on my experience in cyprus - there could indeed be user error unless someone can confirm my findings ? :lol:

Yeah I tend to browse more on the phone rather than post!

The 70-300 lens is suppose to be good for motorsport and things like that. I've been looking at either getting one of these or a 55-200 lens, I'm not sure if I would really need a 300mm zoom.

One lens that is suppose to be a must in your collection is a 50mm f1.8, aka the nifty fifty, which should be good for portraits and indoor shots when the light is low.

In terms of the zoom its not a patch on a 17-300 lens. The best way to describe it really is the 18-55 seems to be best at portrait photos and landscapes, whereas the 17-300 doesn't capture landscapes as well but can zoom in on objects a long way away and produce a nice crisp photo. Its also not good at close ups.. This is purely based on my experience in cyprus - there could indeed be user error unless someone can confirm my findings ? :lol:

Yeah I tend to browse more on the phone rather than post!

The 70-300 lens is suppose to be good for motorsport and things like that. I've been looking at either getting one of these or a 55-200 lens, I'm not sure if I would really need a 300mm zoom.

One lens that is suppose to be a must in your collection is a 50mm f1.8, aka the nifty fifty, which should be good for portraits and indoor shots when the light is low.

I will definitely be getting one of my own :lol:

Good tip n the 'nifty fifty' - I bought the camera mainly to take photos of my inbound baby so will take a look!

Any more photos to share then Steve? :)

I am sure there a few more that are worthy of sharing - i'll see if i can get a few up later. I am run ragged in and out of work at present ! :)

Lucky you, I've been bored at work all day! Looking forward to the photos and video if you can as wanna see the quality :)

I think I've got a vid off mine somewhere of Steve's RC car at the ace cafe meet - it was rubbish if I remember correctly as I think I did it not quite in focus but I'll try and dig it out as it would be interesting to compare the Nikon against the Canon.

That would be cool, does yours record in full HD or 720p like the D5000?

It's 720p too, I think the video mode is pretty much the same as the D5000 - actually can the D5000 focus? The D90 doesn't autofocus when taking video, which personally makes the feature a bit pointless unless you're filming something at a distance when it is possible to set the focus and keep it there.