Punctured Toyo Proxes 4

Tango

The nearside front tyre on my IS200 Sport was flat as a pancake (only at the bottom though :crying_anim: ). Had the wheel off and found the leak with soapy water, also found a fragment of glass in the rubber. The tyres have only done around 4K miles since Blackboots fitted the set, so as the puncture was nowhere near the sidewall I thought a plug repair may be viable.

Unfortunately the only place open locally on Sunday was Krapfit and having (reluctantly) requested a repair was told by them in no uncertain terms that I needed a new tyre which they could order for me, as a repair to a tyre punctured by glass would be an unsafe repair!!! Allegedly the glass could have 'moved to other areas in the tyre'.

Not being convinced, I put the wheel and tyre back in the boot of the IS250 and left.

Anyone got any comment?

Unless the puncture is of a size and shape unsuitable for a plug, then they are talking BS IMO (tho I'm no expert obviously).

If the glass could have moved to other areas of the tyre, a thorough inspection of the inner & outer serfaces of the tyre would

reval any issues. Am I alone in thinking the guy was using an excuse to get a new tyre sold ? Maybe he is even told to try to do

that very thing, rather than do a perfectly safe repair on a still useable tyre ?

A question to Tony regarding this guys motives, would his company make more profit on a new tyre/fit/valve/balance or just a repair ?

If the margin is much higher on a new tyre, it does point to profiteering by either the fitter, depo manager, or company as a whole.....

It was a ten mile drive to Formula One Autocentre in Gloucester, but an hour or two later the puncture was repaired, a new valve inserted, wheel balanced and back on the car. B) It was more of a small 'puncture' than a cut, so reamed it and plugged it without a problem.

I'm still not sure if the Manager in Krapfit really believed what he was saying, or whether it was something he had been told to say, either way it just reconfirmed my poor opinion of the Company, and that's an understatement. :)