Wheel vibration

weird development, as you may remember i had two tyres (front + rear passenger side) with nails in them. the front one has a really small pin in it however the rear one had a proper nail in it.

I found a place that stocked the tyres at almost £120 cheaper than BMW (per tyre) went there but was told that they only had the rear in stock and that i will have to come back tomorrow for the front one.

No big deal,,, i thought as im here and have time ill get them to do the rear one and thn do the front tomorrow. Also this way i would be able to fel the individual difference.

Now, tony and the guys may remember that i have only asked them to balance three of my wheels at any time because i always maintained that the passenger side rear would be fine because it was the original tyre from when the car was supplied new and that there cant be an issue with it.

Well after changing the rear tyre the vibartion has improved again. I checked the rim when it was taken off the car and non of the weights had been missing.

Before the tyre change today the vibration was say 3.5 out of 10. After the tyre change today the vibration is down to about 2 out of 10.

What is that all about????????????

• 2 weeks later...

ok an update...............

Had a long chat with the guys that supplied the tyres. i think they felt sorry for me knowing that ive been sufering for a while.

The owner asked me to come back at 6pm. i went back as asked, he put the car on a ramp and took off all the wheels and put them on a machine called a hunter gps 9700 the machine.

again all the wheels balanced perfectly apart from the one that kept changing when put back on the balancer. The machine however told the guy to spin the tyre on the wheel. he did this and put it back on the machine. the machine came back saying that no weight was needed.

we took the wheel on and off 3 times and everytime it came back saying no weight needed.

so all the wheels are now balanced perfectly and the car is driving perfectly.

Now i need to get wim to allign the car just to make sure it 100 percent

Do you mean they had to rotate the tyre on the rim to math them better for runout and/ or weight minimisation? Wonder if the tyre rotated on the rim while accelerating or something, might be worth putting a small tippex type indiscreet mark on the tyre/rim to show if they moved in the future ! I wonder if the tyre had a circle to indicate the uniformity and/ or weight mark and if they used this in the first place or not !

Do you mean they had to rotate the tyre on the rim to math them better for runout and/ or weight minimisation? Wonder if the tyre rotated on the rim while accelerating or something, might be worth putting a small tippex type indiscreet mark on the tyre/rim to show if they moved in the future ! I wonder if the tyre had a circle to indicate the uniformity and/ or weight mark and if they used this in the first place or not !

I agree, as rude as it reads this does happen, very common on commercial tractor trailers where the drive wheels spin in the tubeless tyres.

Nick T ive noted the positions of the tyres and will monitor this. One key thing i forgot to mention in my last post was, when the guy took my driver side rear tyre off, he showed me that the tyre was higher on the outer edge and was lower on the inner edge. The tyre was also bumpy on the same edge.

I have had my alignment checked by BMW they have said its fine, (not that i trust them since they over filled my car with engine oil)

The tyre guy has said that i should raise the matter with Dunlop as the tyre is only 2.5 months old.

Do you think i have any chance of getting them to replace it?

On another note i need Tony's opinion on what alignment setting are available for my car if any.

Nick T ive noted the positions of the tyres and will monitor this. One key thing i forgot to mention in my last post was, when the guy took my driver side rear tyre off, he showed me that the tyre was higher on the outer edge and was lower on the inner edge. The tyre was also bumpy on the same edge.

I have had my alignment checked by BMW they have said its fine, (not that i trust them since they over filled my car with engine oil)

The tyre guy has said that i should raise the matter with Dunlop as the tyre is only 2.5 months old.

Do you think i have any chance of getting them to replace it?

On another note i need Tony's opinion on what alignment setting are available for my car if any.

You have the right for the tyre to be sent back to Dunlop for inspection, this costs you nothing, as for the geo settings i would use the OEM or if there's a specific problem use a custom setup.

what are dunlop like to deal with? any ideas what to do when i send the tyre off to them. being runflat i dont have a spare?

You need to buy a replacement then if they find the tyre faulty you are given a percentage back on the cost.