Black cabs and their turning circle

Rich

I meant to post this ages ago but what makes black cabs have such good turning circles? Is it wheel/tyre size or something to do with the suspension. A cab did a U turn in a main road I use that is abit wider than normal as it has cycle lanes but even in the pug with 14" wheels I couldn't of done the turn he did! :rolleyes:

They run virtually no front camber, castor, sai, toe but a huge Ackermann angle via a steering box, pitman arm and idler arm. They have an off-set Ackemann so the right lock is much more extreme than the left, very complex to calibrate with a five page "how to".

How does that affect the handling then...I know they're city cars so don't go fast but how would it compare to a normal road car?

Any diagrams knocking about of the setup they use?

So do they need geo's and have you ever done one or do they ask for the normal tracking?

I'll look for images..... The handling is all you would expect for London driving that tops 30mph, they run on commercial tyres so nothing impressive is expected.

I have set a few but most think it's just tracking at £30 in an under the arches establishment, whereas in actual fact Black Cabs are one of the few vehicles world wide where the TOOT can be adjusted so £30 don't cut it.

I'll look for images..... The handling is all you would expect for London driving that tops 30mph, they run on commercial tyres so nothing impressive is expected.

I have set a few but most think it's just tracking at £30 in an under the arches establishment, whereas in actual fact Black Cabs are one of the few vehicles world wide where the TOOT can be adjusted so £30 don't cut it.

Is that why when you see one on the motorway it's crawling along cos it doesn't handle well at speed?

I suppose trying to charge them more would just send them elsewhere?

• 4 weeks later...
Black Cabs are one of the few vehicles world wide where the TOOT can be adjusted

Hi Tony - how is this change in geometry made? Is it something to do with the length of the Pitman arm relative to the idler? I can't imagine any other way of doing it :angry:

The performance version of my old Plymouth Barracuda was available with quick steering - all Chrysler did was supply the car with a longer Pitman arm! I'm not sure the idler arm length was changed at the same time, so that would affect TOOT wouldn't it?

Of course the biggest problem with the AAR 'Cuda was that the back end was jacked up to make way for larger tyres, which messed up the roll characteristics. My European export model could easily outhandle them, not that I ever got the chance...

Lauren

Black Cabs are one of the few vehicles world wide where the TOOT can be adjusted

Hi Tony - how is this change in geometry made? Is it something to do with the length of the Pitman arm relative to the idler? I can't imagine any other way of doing it :angry:

The performance version of my old Plymouth Barracuda was available with quick steering - all Chrysler did was supply the car with a longer Pitman arm! I'm not sure the idler arm length was changed at the same time, so that would affect TOOT wouldn't it?

Of course the biggest problem with the AAR 'Cuda was that the back end was jacked up to make way for larger tyres, which messed up the roll characteristics. My European export model could easily outhandle them, not that I ever got the chance...

Lauren

It's had to explain or even understand without pictures...... I'll post ther "how-to" tomorrow.

On a similar note, any eccenticities on those forward-control sooty vans (other than retaining a king-pin) ? :angry:

I don't understand the question.

Anything interesting about their set-ups ? I could look on the database tomorrow, ofcourse, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

On a similar note, any eccenticities on those forward-control sooty vans (other than retaining a king-pin) ? :)

I don't understand the question.

Anything interesting about their set-ups ? I could look on the database tomorrow, ofcourse, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

No not really... :angry:

They run virtually no front camber, castor, sai, toe but a huge Ackermann angle via a steering box, pitman arm and idler arm. They have an off-set Ackemann so the right lock is much more extreme than the left, very complex to calibrate with a five page "how to".

So the rh turning circle is smaller the the lh? Why is it lobsided? Appreciate that the rh Ackermann is relevant to the UK, but black cabs are sold world wide now.

h

despite U-turns being illegal ofcourse...

Who says U turns are illegal?

Had a poke about on Google and found this: Illegal U-Turns

A U-turn is considered to be illegal if one of the following happens:

You cross a kerb

You cross double white lines in the centre of the road (unless there is a gap between them)

Road markings or signs indicate 'No U-turns'

You are on a one-way street

If you are unable to make a U-turn, a turn in the road is the better option.