Car ramps...The drive up type

What are your opinions on these, especially now alot of cars have wide profile tyres. When me dad used to help me sort the cars I hated driving up these, paranoid I would go over the top and damage the car!

The tyres on the cars were no wider than 185 so they didn't overhang on the ramps. But what about 215, 225 etc can you drive a car on ramps with these and would they damage the tyre at all as I'd imagine they overhang?

Also any tips for reversing a car up them? I really want to get mine as high as possible to sort the underneath and axle stands don't get it as high as I would like. Plus I've found it to be dodgy when jacking one side up when the other is already on an axle stand, only when you're going really high though.

I've still got a set in the roof of my garage, haven't used them for years. But they are wide enough for modern day tyres and very stable. You just have to be 100% sure you are lined up and go up it steady but not too slow as they will move. If you can put them against something or hold them with something then so much the better. make sure you have somebody to guide you and say stop .... there is a stop bar but if you keep driving :D

I went and looked at mine today, they are only eight inches wide but have no sides ( just an end stop ) so would take wider tyres but would they need support on the outside if they are supported for the middle eight inches?

So 8" wide ramps would be fine for tyres up to 205 wide? Good advice there Smartly, so what would you suggest I hold them in place with, maybe a couple of bricks each side? I would definately get someone to watch when I reverse, I don't trust those bars to stop a car from going over!

Jon, why couldn't you get the cars on your ramps, too low or just found it difficult? That's another thing to think about though, alot of cars as standard are lower than they use to be. What are the chances of catching your bumper or exhaust on the ground now as these kind of ramps don't give you a long run up!! :)

Looking on the halfords site here, it says their ramps take a max tyre size of 185 x 14"...that's not much when you consider alot of cars comes with 15" or 16" wheels as a minimum now, which can have wider tyres.

I was looking at getting some caravan ramps like these. They may be abit lower than car ramps but it must get the car higher than jack/axle stands would, plus they look safer, i.e. less chance of damaging the tyre as they're plastic, take up to 8 tons in weight...what do you guys think? :D

Those caravan ones are only 14 cm high, that's less than 6 inches. What about getting some car ramps and jacking the car one side at a time to get them underneath? I remember doing something like that with my Mk1 Jaguar, I drove the rear wheels onto bricks then jacked it up on a brick and slid the ramps underneath.

Screwfix have some that are 8.5 inches wide.

Or try these on ebay for £42 at the moment, adjustable height and 245 tyre width item no. 130335114064, probably owrth nearly £200 !!

Those caravan ones are only 14 cm high, that's less than 6 inches. What about getting some car ramps and jacking the car one side at a time to get them underneath? I remember doing something like that with my Mk1 Jaguar, I drove the rear wheels onto bricks then jacked it up on a brick and slid the ramps underneath.

Or try these on ebay for �42 at the moment, adjustable height and 245 tyre width item no. 130335114064, probably owrth nearly �200 !!

Yes but when I jack my car up to get axle stands underneath I never get the wheel more than a couple of inches off the ground so I thought using those ramps might get it abit higher. My jack does need topping up with oil though so it would go higher than that, maybe I should get a better one.

Was jacking the car up on a brick ok, I would've thought the jack had more chance of sliding off that?

Those ramps on ebay look brilliant, bet they go for alot more £££ though - Here's the link

Was jacking the car up on a brick ok

Yes, it's only while you slide the ramps under - not when you are under the car :D You can always use a kerb on one side :)

Is yours a bottle jack? Mine used to leak so I am now on my second trolley jack and this one has never been used.

Was jacking the car up on a brick ok

Yes, it's only while you slide the ramps under - not when you are under the car :D You can always use a kerb on one side :)

Is yours a bottle jack? Mine used to leak so I am now on my second trolley jack and this one has never been used.

Yeah I know that but I always though wood was better as it can get more of a grip. Is a good idea though to get the height :)

Mines a trolley jack (argos cheapy) and it leaks as well :)

I need one of Tony's, wonder if he's got a spare! :D

Or try these on ebay for �42 at the moment, adjustable height and 245 tyre width item no. 130335114064, probably owrth nearly �200 !!

Yes but when I jack my car up to get axle stands underneath I never get the wheel more than a couple of inches off the ground so I thought using those ramps might get it abit higher. My jack does need topping up with oil though so it would go higher than that, maybe I should get a better one.

Was jacking the car up on a brick ok, I would've thought the jack had more chance of sliding off that?

Those ramps on ebay look brilliant, bet they go for alot more £££ though - Here's the link

Remember jacking the car up and having the wheel only a couple of cm off the ground means the suspension is uncompressed. I'm not sure about your car but that's a lot of travel you wouldn't have if the car was on ramps with the suspension settled meaning the floor height isn't actually that different.

I've never got a car on the ramps because i've always caught a bumper. Even my first car (MG ZR) wouldn't go.

Remember jacking the car up and having the wheel only a couple of cm off the ground means the suspension is uncompressed. I'm not sure about your car but that's a lot of travel you wouldn't have if the car was on ramps with the suspension settled meaning the floor height isn't actually that different.

I've never got a car on the ramps because i've always caught a bumper. Even my first car (MG ZR) wouldn't go.

That's a good point actually...so having the axle stands on the next notch would probably be the same height as driving it on ramps, just the later is easier (supposedly) to do? I'm thinking a better jack would be better then and get more use :(

That's a good point actually...so having the axle stands on the next notch would probably be the same height as driving it on ramps, just the later is easier (supposedly) to do? I'm thinking a better jack would be better then and get more use :(

I'm 100% sure a jack and axle stands will get more use and be more flexible than bloody annoying ramps!

I'm 100% sure a jack and axle stands will get more use and be more flexible than bloody annoying ramps!

I get the impression you don't like them!! :(

Ok next question, would a 3 tonne jack get the car higher than a 2 tonne one? From what I've found they all seem to go roughly the same height, just take more weight?

Is this a good price for a 3 tonne jack?

That will give about an 18 inch lift. In the ebay listing though it says

We sell these for £56.00 when available
, so what does that mean?

The 2 ton jacks tend to lift 12 inches. But you can get these for about £30.

At the end of the day it depends what you want to do, I'd be inclined to go with jack and ramps but that's because I've never used axle stands. Presumably you can use axle stands at the front.

So the question is what height do you want to leave the car above the ground and are you going to use a creeper?

That will give about an 18 inch lift. In the ebay listing though it says
We sell these for £56.00 when available
, so what does that mean?

The 2 ton jacks tend to lift 12 inches. But you can get these for about £30.

At the end of the day it depends what you want to do, I'd be inclined to go with jack and ramps but that's because I've never used axle stands. Presumably you can use axle stands at the front.

So the question is what height do you want to leave the car above the ground and are you going to use a creeper?

I think when their last lot of stock ran out they upped the price by £20. Maybe it cost them more to buy in?

Anyway, decided I'm not going for that one now, after looking at the ones in WIM I'm going for a low profile alloy jack, probably from costco. End of the day this will get used more than a set of ramps.

I'm always jacking the cars up...whether it's removing the wheels to clean them/the arch, do oil changes, brakes, wishbones etc, so it will get used. Plus the alloy one is so light you can pick it up with one hand, which means I can keep it at home should I need it and take it to the missus parents whenever I work on the car as I use their driveway. I don't have a creeper, just lay abit of old carpet down and crawl under the car!

Here's a photo of mine today jacked up at the rear and that's before the wheel has even left the ground!! :huh:

car_jacked.jpg

You can see how low the back is in this photo

post-438-1248603784.jpg

ER,

thing to watch about the l;ow profile trolly jacks is that they are only low at the lifting point. the remainder of the jack is as high as a normal jack These are ok for lifting at the sills, but of no use when you want to get to the cross member or diff to lift the car centrally.

I either have to drive one side up the kerb to get the trolley jack under or use the scissor jack on the sills to raise the car to get the jack under.

h

ER,

thing to watch about the l;ow profile trolly jacks is that they are only low at the lifting point. the remainder of the jack is as high as a normal jack These are ok for lifting at the sills, but of no use when you want to get to the cross member or diff to lift the car centrally.

I either have to drive one side up the kerb to get the trolley jack under or use the scissor jack on the sills to raise the car to get the jack under.

h

I should be ok as the car isn't that low but it could be a problem if I ever fit side skirts. The front I jack up from a boxed section of the chassis just behind the sill and the rear can only be jacked from the sill.

I will have to measure the distance between the exhaust pipes and ground to see if ramps would clear them.

Here is a deal and a half if you haven't sorted out what you are getting:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...yId_165727#dtab

Thanks for the link, that is a good price but the jack looks similar to what I have. Ideally I want one with a large saddle like the low profile ones have and with a rubber pad :huh:

• 8 months later...

Definitely need to replace mine now it's practically had it!!

Has anyone used liftmaster jacks, are they any good?

I've seen 3 but not sure which one to go for...talking to Pete earlier and he thinks the black one (2nd link).

Trolley Jack 1

Trolley Jack 2

Trolley Jack 3 - Alloy one

I've seen 3 but not sure which one to go for...talking to Pete earlier and he thinks the black one (2nd link).

Trolley Jack 1

Trolley Jack 2

i would go for the first one

cheaper and hasnt got gimmicky lights or tools which you would have anyway

The only difference between the first two is the LEDs, which I don't really need and the sockets, which I already have as you say.

What's tempting me to number 3 is the wider seat and rubber cover but that's not really worth an extra 50 quid. I think I will get number 1 then see how it goes :D

• 5 months later...

Trolley Jack 1

Trolley Jack 2

Well Santa brought me the alloy one (3rd link), not put it together yet but it looks a good bit of kit and will get well used :crying_anim: