Geometry vs Driver

Rich

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, is Tony throwing a red herring into this?

The Evo would be harder to drive.

The Lada is an old design, imprecise and boat like, Drivers reactions can be slow on this. (Low chassis frequency)

The EVO has a more modern suspension, and probably a lot of electronics to assist the suspension/traction/driver. The computers can operate faster than the driver, turn these off and the normal driver would have difficulty keeping up with the chassis. (High Chassis Frequency).

Iirc one of Sam at TDI's posts, a chassis frequency of 2.5 hz is what a normal driver can keep up with, a F1 driver it's over 5 hz.)

It's a bit like the typhoon fighters, it's all fly by wire, to make the plane do what it does the plane flies on the edge of instability all controlled by computer, the pilot only adds input to the computers, 'Turn left here'. Without the computers the pilots cannot fly the planes, they would just fall out of the sky!

Does the Lada have a better DI than the Evo?

Alternatively, it could be the Lada would be hardest to drive as it's soo difficult to start on your own. The heated rear window is there to keep your hands warm when you're pushing it in winter! :unsure:

And you can double the value of your Lada simply by filling the fuel tank!

I know, the old one's are the best.

I'll get my jacket!

h

The DI suggests how reactive the chassis will be, an idyllic DI of 1.0 works at the preferred human Hz of two inputs per second. Most car manufacturers design the chassis around 1.0-2Hz.

The Evo would be around 4Hz when pushed, so to drive this car comfortably active Yaw control and all manner of electronics is required, whereas the Lada has a poor DI and probably still runs at 2Hz but corner in it's more suck it and see rather than actual matter of fact handling.

The DI suggests how reactive the chassis will be, an idyllic DI of 1.0 works at the preferred human Hz of two inputs per second. Most car manufacturers design the chassis around 1.0-2Hz.

The Evo would be around 4Hz when pushed, so to drive this car comfortably active Yaw control and all manner of electronics is required, whereas the Lada has a poor DI and probably still runs at 2Hz but corner in it's more suck it and see rather than actual matter of fact handling.

So the Evo with everything turned on will be easier to drive and more predicable than the Lada? But with everything turned off the Evo will be harder to drive? :smile_anim:

I'd prefer the Lada anyday of the week.

Would never have guessed! :unsure:

More or less yes..... The Evo is point and go whereas the Lada is point and hope..... Nevertheless the Evo would require more attention to control it's precise handling so it's higher frequency doesn't suit everyone.

Do alot of exotic motors have high frequency chassis's as we're always reading about footballers in these motors who keep crashing them? Could it be they don't realise you have to be on the ball constantly otherwise you will loose it very easily?

Drive a high end marque like the Merc or beamer all the electronics save you in the most desperate of times, a real drivers car or the modified car requires the driver to adapt. The problem is that not all drivers have the ability to cope with the additional imputes required so some will say the cars handling is pants and others would say it's superb.

If the car i'm calibrating is for the track or modified i have to investigate the drivers intentions and try to assess what sort of person i'm dealing with, is he sedate or an utter nutter?