Camber for the Sprinty Vitz

Janey

Finally got some camber adjuster bolts for the Vitz as the front camber has minimal adjustment and the rear has none as standard :D

Spoken to the wonderful Messers Bones & Barber and the plan is on Thursday to end up with 2-2.5deg negative camber on the front with very slight toe in (1/16" max) which should help me get round the corners a bit better :D because gawd knows I need all the help I can get :angry2:

At the moment due to not having a decent rear ARB - having to wait until mid-September for Whiteline to make & ship over so I'm spending half the time round corners with only 1 wheel making traction contact, front suspension is on it's softest setting which helps even things out a bit so hoping that with the camber adjusted we maybe more on track (excuse the pun) :D

I'm pleased she's booked in.... Where did the 16/th toe in come from?

Good question Tony :) Came from another sprinty vitz in the US - very slight toe in 1/16 or 0deg toe ....think we may just have to play & see what works :huh: Am going to try & do a bit more research today so we have some more answers/options :D

Well thanks to Tony little pinky is ready for Saturday :D

He now has -2 deg camber with 0 deg toe on the front & -1 on the rear which should not only get me round the corners better but also help get the R888's heated up quicker & therefore should give me better grip in a shorter time, and means the suspension gains camber during deflection which should hopefully compensate for body roll .... here's hoping :)

As promised to Tony (and my Mum) I took it easy on the way home rather than playing with roundabouts :D though whilst on the M25 some little old lady in a silver Micra decided that she didn't like the lane she was in and decided to come into mine and take out my drivers side wing mirror :o totally unperturbed she didn't even brake or react she just carried on sailing down the road, did contemplate chasing & ramming her off the road but I thought that may be a little OTT .... so if anyone is out on the roads watch out for her Reg No. BL02 AFF and please feel free to do what I stopped myself doing :huh:

Rapid wear :o

One of Tonys money making ideas :(

Hopefully as it's not massively aggressive & I only use it a couple of times a week on short journeys (apart from driving to the sprints etc) wear shouldn't be a great problem but will have to wait & see :)

Rapid wear :D

One of Tonys money making ideas :(

Hopefully as it's not massively aggressive & I only use it a couple of times a week on short journeys (apart from driving to the sprints etc) wear shouldn't be a great problem but will have to wait & see :D

Due to the cars lack of weight you can afford a little extra camber :lol:

Do you keep the R888s just for the track and use a spare set of wheels for everyday use? I'd imagine you would only get a few thousand miles out of them?

888's for dry track use

T1r's for wet track and daily use :o

actually they might be F1's :lol:

Do you keep the R888s just for the track and use a spare set of wheels for everyday use? I'd imagine you would only get a few thousand miles out of them?

888's for dry track use

I take it this is just personal preference as they're a legal road tyre so should be ok(ish) in the wet?

888's for dry track use

I take it this is just personal preference as they're a legal road tyre so should be ok(ish) in the wet?

they are ok in the wet, but not where there is standing water,

they are also expensive and dont last as long as normal tyres

probably looking for another set for next season !!

• 3 months later...

Thought it maybe about time I gave you an update on how the settings have worked out :blush:

I didn't really get a chance to see what effect they would have until the next sprint which was the 2nd one at Woodbridge (albeit a different course to before) the handling & cornering was improved and looking at the pics the body roll was nowhere near as much as before cornering felt a lot 'safer' (although 3 wheels still came into play at times :lol:) and turning in was far better.

The real difference was felt at Teeside as by then we'd also put a rear anti-roll bar on and although I wimped out of putting the 888's on as it was a bit damp the handling round the chicanes & corners was ten tons better than before - so good that I very nearly caught Paul in the Aygo with just a second between us rather than the usual 2 or more :lol:

Hopefully next year with more experience (& a front under brace which I'm hoping Santa is bringing) Vitzy & I will be cornering like a good 'un :D

Ohh and on a last note - wear on the daily tyres is good with no noticeable additional wear

So big thanks to Tony - as my hairbrain plans just wouldn't work without you :lol:

You underestimate yourself sometimes.... Next stage in my opinion is to add more camber to invite more oversteer and toe the front out about half a degree, this was one of the biggest changes Bazza noticed on the rocket.

You underestimate yourself sometimes.... Next stage in my opinion is to add more camber to invite more oversteer and toe the front out about half a degree, this was one of the biggest changes Bazza noticed on the rocket.

True - will have to make a date for a tweeking :cool03:

True - will have to make a date for a tweeking :o

:cool03: