Horror of the week 08/07/09

Tony

When i say typical i'm not tarnishing all fast fit centres but..... this is typical.

Lady takes her Peugeot 206cc into a centre for two tyres, then they sell her "tracking" despite the fact the old tyres appeared to be wearing fine, after the tyres and tracking was done she returned complaining that the car turned like it was on ice. Their explanation for the complaint was the car needed new suspension, feeling suspicious she declined this because the car never drove like this before the work was done.

A week or so later she felt so unhappy with the way the car was handling she took it to another tyre centre and explained events, without making any tests they agreed the car needs new suspension.

Today the car came to us with front tyres looking like this>

post-2-1247083512.jpg

post-2-1247083526.jpg

post-2-1247083546.jpg

The wear is lateral due to the toe or "tracking" angle being about ten times the correct value "the wrong way". So not only was the alignment done wrong and not re-checked by another centre it also ruined the new front tyres in two weeks.

Can't see the wear you took the photo too close! Looks like there's plenty of tread in those photos :smile_anim:

Loads of tread but the contour is totally distorted, this would never recover.

Can't see the wear you took the photo too close! Looks like there's plenty of tread in those photos :smile_anim:

Ah, I see now....so tyres wearing like this cause bad handling so need replacing regardless, unless you like the 'ice' feeling?

Ah, I see now....so tyres wearing like this cause bad handling so need replacing regardless, unless you like the 'ice' feeling?

It would feel like driving on marbles.

No chance of them being compensated by the fast fit chain?

No chance of them being compensated by the fast fit chain?

Obviously that's down to the owner, i gave them proof the job was done incorrectly but since they asked us to change the tyres i feel they won't be going back.

Obviously that's down to the owner, i gave them proof the job was done incorrectly but since they asked us to change the tyres i feel they won't be going back.

I would've kept the old tyres, gone back and thrown them in the reception, demand my money back!

I would've kept the old tyres, gone back and thrown them in the reception, demand my money back!

I'll hold the tyres for a week just in case the owner feels the need for revenge.

That's shocking, it really is worrying how many dodgy garages there are out there and the industry really has no regulation whatsoever (I know it's not the only one but it's harsh anyway)

This is why we are setting out to open a national chain of approved/ trusted centres.

This is why we are setting out to open a national chain of approved/ trusted centres.

Really? I didn't know that, that's great news :D

Still in the pilot stage but it will be launched in the next few weeks :D