Tyre Tread Depth & Compound

littlebrownbike

Sorry, I didn't mean the effects of wear and tear. My point was, is it true that as the tread depth reduces, the quality of the rubber decreases (and therefore gets harder, lasts longer).

For example (assuming all factors remain the same, this is what I have been told);

A tyre starts with 8mm, it does 5,000 miles and now has 4mm tread, having used 4mm.

Now at 4mm, the same tyre does an additional 5,000 miles, but as the tread is now harder, it only wears half as much, resulting in 2mm tread.

The tyres silica goes off over time, this hardens the rubber and therefor increases the mileage, the downside is the compliance of the rubber allows the tyre to split plus the grip limits are seriously compromised.

The tyres silica goes off over time, this hardens the rubber and therefor increases the mileage, the downside is the compliance of the rubber allows the tyre to split plus the grip limits are seriously compromised.

Am I correct in saying that tyres have "used by" dates? Like 5 years from manufacture?

Am I correct in saying that tyres have "used by" dates? Like 5 years from manufacture?

Yeah i think you are right Mark...a kinda "best before date"

Legislation will soon have "best before selling dates" and "use by dates", there may also be a color change on the tyres sidewall to police this "use by date".