Another problem...

Noticed this leaked grease today on the offside, just under the hub.

1.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

2.JPG

What are your thoughts Tony? It looks like the rubber cover has come off slightly, looks very fresh too. Is it livable with or can I simply re-position the cover? This car has cost me £1,875.21 in maintenance in the 22.5k miles I've had it - don't want to spend any more.

Here is how the nearside looks.

5.JPG

Secondly, its the offside arb bush that is damaged, nearside looks much better.

6.JPG

7.JPG

Cheers

That's the ball joint boot. You probably won't be able to fix it. If the lower arm bushes are ok just fit a new ball joint, they don't cost that much. ARB bushes are cheap aswell but if they make them for yours get some poly bushes, they last alot longer.

In this application, whats the purpose of the ball joint and how much are they? I expect the wheel, brakes and hub will have to come off in order to replace it? I suspect a wishbone is in the region of £150 and requires to be replaced in pairs.

The ARB bushes were suppose to have been replaced a few days ago, but the dealer got sent the wrong bushes. Apparently its a pig of a job hence the £100 labour charge. As for poly bushes, I had them on the rear anti roll bar, they squeaked so bad I had to rip them off!!

Here is a picture of the lower arm bush, you tell me what condition its in?

lowerbush.JPG

The ball joint allows the whole strut/knuckle assembly to turn. If the boot is split water and dirt will get in, eventually causing it to seize. Ford changed the design of the lower arms on the MK3 compared to the MK2 so chances are the bushes are ok and should last alot longer. Best way to check is get a bar in there and see how much movement you get, but yes best to replace in pairs. The ebay ball joint seems expensive to me, look around maybe as they should be the same for all models.

I know what you mean about squeaky poly bushes, mine are going like that! If they fitted the wrong ones then surely they should change them or have they not fitted them yet?

No they didn't fit them as they looked nothing like the ones that are on at the moment, which is strange as they ordered the parts via my reg...

I would buy the ball joint from Ford anyway, the chances are that item on eBay is not genuine.

But would we agree that the damaged boot looks very fresh? Is there any possibility that the garage who changed the wheel bearing two days ago are to blame?

Yes it looks fresh to me and the ball joint would need to come out to change the bearings so it could've been the garage. Probably used a ball joint splitter which would've caused the damage.

IMO delphi are very good and I've read that they actually make the oem arms. But if you're replacing one side you should really do the other or you may get problems from having new bushes one side and old the other!

Very good point, bloke at the garage said theres a strong chance Delphi make the original arms.

Well you can see the condition of the bush on the previous page. I think its too good to throw away, so maybe £10 ball joint and 30 odd quid labour is the way to go. Can get the Anti roll bar bushes done too then an alignment & she'll be ready for another track day.