Weight in the car

boost mad

Some cars, mostly german, have specific requirements regarding ballast, some, such as Mx5, go off ride-height.

Personally, and I don't know if Tony will agree, I always feel it's only ever going to be a best guess regarding what weight the vehicle is carrying at any given time.

Having said that, I've toyed with the idea of putting in ballast on the driver's seat when measuring my own car., if only to see how it responds.

There's no required ballast for a Mondeo but I'd empty the boot of clutter 'n' what not, and minimum 1/2 tank of fuel.

Depends on the cars intentions and how adjustable the chassis is. On the Mondeo only the front/ rear toe is adjustable so all i need to know is where the positions migrate during the suspensions bump/ droop. I can simply do this by pulling the suspension down.

Depends on the cars intentions and how adjustable the chassis is. On the Mondeo only the front/ rear toe is adjustable so all i need to know is where the positions migrate during the suspensions bump/ droop. I can simply do this by pulling the suspension down.

So what about mine with the adjustable camber kit, does that make a difference?

So what about mine with the adjustable camber kit, does that make a difference?

No not really because the struts are virtually upright, in truth the drivers weight effects the chassis diagonally.

my boot is normaly always empty anyway.

just thought i would ask as it just poppped into my head

It was an intelligent question.... Last week i calibrated an owners toolbox that was inadvertently left in the boot.

I had a jeep (can't recall what exactly, X5 maybe ?) with 3 rolls of carpet in the back....

Fail..... unless it had self leveling suspension in which case you may have got away with it.

oh I took it out before hand. Only because we did tyres and we had gone into the boot beforehand. Probably wouldn't have even looked otherwise, TBH.

Actually, now you mention self leveling suspension, I think it was a Rangie Sport :lol:

oh I took it out before hand. Only because we did tyres and we had gone into the boot beforehand. Probably wouldn't have even looked otherwise, TBH.

Actually, now you mention self leveling suspension, I think it was a Rangie Sport :lol:

Result..... Don't forget to set the suspension to urban and if you have to lift the vehicle open the rear hatch.