Powerflex Bushes MX-5

TarkMalbot

Yes to all of the above :angry2:

They are worth it & they do make a noticeable difference. They can be tricky to fit (main problem is getting the old ones off) and yes I'm guessing the car would need setting up again as you are more than likely removing/undoing things like wishbones & track control arms to fit them. Tony would probably be better clarifying this as he knows the underneath of a 5 better than most :wacko:

i believe Tony means hard and uncompromising when he says "crashy"

the original bushes are rubber, and quite soft so allow absorbtion of vibrations and flex

where as poly bushes are quite rigid and tend to transfer all vibrations directly to what they are joining together

it is a hard choice, the fitting of them will greatly improve the cars handling but they also compromise the cars comfort level

i believe Tony means hard and uncompromising when he says "crashy"

the original bushes are rubber, and quite soft so allow absorbtion of vibrations and flex

where as poly bushes are quite rigid and tend to transfer all vibrations directly to what they are joining together

it is a hard choice, the fitting of them will greatly improve the cars handling but they also compromise the cars comfort level

That would make sense :D

When you say high maintenance Tony do you mean they just need greasing often? I've a feeling the squeak on mine in coming from the anti roll bar poly bush :lol:

The MX5 is no family car though so if it was me I'd be tempted to fit them. Especially with all the other mods fitted to it.

Cheers bazza, you said exactly what my brain thought but my fingers denied.

@ER.... within no time they squeak and moan.... A bit like the wife when she wants you to visit the mother-in-law :(

So what grease would you suggest to stop them squeaking? I sprayed them with WD40 quickly but it didn't work. I suppose I need to undo the clamp to get the grease in properly.

Yep, there's a special grease you need to use.... WD40 just drys out.

Where can I get the grease from and would I have to undo the bracket? I suppose it's the same grease that would be used on the rear arm poly bushes?

• 2 weeks later...
Yep, there's a special grease you need to use.... WD40 just drys out.

Where can I get the grease from and would I have to undo the bracket? I suppose it's the same grease that would be used on the rear arm poly bushes?

I'd be interested to know which grease it is too.

I had an annoying squeak which Tony pinpointed as the bushes for my rear FM ARB.

He undid the brackets, greased them up and it disappeared.

Just starting to come back again, but only occasionally over sleeping policemen.

Would save me the 130mile roundtrip if I can do it myself!

The answers I found were:

1. White lithium grease.

2. Silicon grease. (Transparent stuff with no additives.) This stuff is available from Maplins and is branded Servisol.)

What you don't want is something that affects rubber so WD40 is out, I'd also be concerned about spray greases due to the solvents used to make the grease sprayable. (Don't know if that is a valid concern!)

h

1. White lithium grease.

2. Silicon grease. (Transparent stuff with no additives.) This stuff is available from Maplins and is branded Servisol.)

What you don't want is something that affects rubber so WD40 is out, I'd also be concerned about spray greases due to the solvents used to make the grease sprayable. (Don't know if that is a valid concern!)

h

That's pretty much the same that i found..... What i couldn't find was a UK supplier of the grease?

1. White lithium grease.

h

That's pretty much the same that i found..... What i couldn't find was a UK supplier of the grease?

As I said, Maplins. You should also be able to get it from a Dive shop. It's used for lubricating 'O' rings in the regulator.

h

1. White lithium grease.

h

As I said, Maplins. You should also be able to get it from a Dive shop. It's used for lubricating 'O' rings in the regulator.

h

It's a poor show you have to go to an electrical store to buy grease for your car :D