horror of the week 15/08/08 #2

Tony

I know i pants on about RFT's (Run Flat Tyres) and how i despise them, so i doubt if you need much convincing of this utterly wrong route the car industry's going making them OEM fitment and my feelings.

So maybe i'm looking at this revolutionary concept all wrong, so let me see.....?

For

1: After deflation you can drive for 50 miles at 50kph

Against

1: Once deflated they are scrap

2: The handling on them is dire

3: The ride on them is "Buckaroo"

4: They cost the Earth and part of the Moon

5: If fitted they are a "done deal" unless all the suspension is upgraded

6: There are limited makes available

Oh and this>

This RFT hit a "universally UK wide pothole" and since there's no flexibility in the tyre sidewall the energy split the tyres sidewall

post-2-1218831393.jpg

Since there is no spare (other than a can-O-air) the owner drove on the tyre as the "for" suggested......

post-2-1218831535.jpg adding damage too..?

The cracked rim

post-2-1218831586.jpg

post-2-1218831609.jpg

So had the tyre been more flexible it's probable the sidewall would have absorbed the pothole, it not then it's fit the spare time and a trip to Crap-fit for a £50 replacement.

Oh no... It's £280 for a new tyre and £800 for a new wheel plus a Geo just in case the chassis is hurt.

RFT's there great aren't they :D

That's got me convinced! :o

Can't they put a claim in with the council for a new rim and tyre?

I'm glad your finally convinced B) ..... I agree a claim is required but it's a long drawn out process and the owner still needs to pay initially anyway.

That's got me convinced! :)

Can't they put a claim in with the council for a new rim and tyre?

I'm glad your finally convinced B) ..... I agree a claim is required but it's a long drawn out process and the owner still needs to pay initially anyway.

I was convinced long before this thread mate and I'm sure this won't be the last you post up. I can't believe they want to make these tyres compulsory soon, on new cars :o