Feedback from my geo

Been a couple of weeks now since I fitted the camber kit, rear arms and had the car set-up. The rear feels planted going round corners and quite safe so I'm happy with that.

Problem is with the front, I know I had new tyres fitted, which are only halfway through being scrubbed in but the car feels loose around corners. The replacement caps that came with the camber kit are loose. I can turn them by hand, whereas with the standard ones I can't. I've checked both nuts and they're tight so I'm wondering if there could be abit of play in the struts when cornering?

Did some digging around and found this thread over on the contour forum - http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.p...ighlight=camber

These are uprated plates to replace the thin ones that come with the camber kit as they flex quite abit. They fit the SPC (Eibach) kit and are alot thicker...I doubt I could buy them over here though and I dread to think how much they will be to import! Although $40 (£20) is a good price for them I'm not familiar with custom charges?

The original plate that comes with the kit is thin metal with a rubber surround. Washers would probably work but the hole could no longer be centre, so I would need something machined or buy the above. Also you will notice these uprated plates have a lip on them to sit on the turret, whereas the one supplied with the kit doesn't!

Also found this thread - http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=2942

Does that sound right then that the faster the car is going the worse it will be, especially on bendy roads? Since the geo I'd only been to work so no more than 30mph. Was only going home yesterday I noticed as I was doing about 40/50mph.

On the contour forums they say the alignment won't be changing, do you agree with this? And do you think I will get quick tyre wear?

Does that sound right then that the faster the car is going the worse it will be, especially on bendy roads? Since the geo I'd only been to work so no more than 30mph. Was only going home yesterday I noticed as I was doing about 40/50mph.

On the contour forums they say the alignment won't be changing, do you agree with this? And do you think I will get quick tyre wear?

The faster you go the more down force will be acting on the car as will weight during transition.

If there is movement in the turrets then the Toe will change alongside the primary angles...... As for wear? it's all theoretical since the loss is dynamic, i feel the best thing to do is deal with the obvious.

The faster you go the more down force will be acting on the car as will weight during transition.

If there is movement in the turrets then the Toe will change alongside the primary angles...... As for wear? it's all theoretical since the loss is dynamic, i feel the best thing to do is deal with the obvious.

If there any way of knowing how much they're moving though, could I just feel for play?

I will get them replaced but getting them made or imported is going to take time...I'm abit worried I'm going to get rapid tyre wear! :lol:

Ok mate, well I've contacted the person on contour forum about shipping to the UK and there's someone on MEG who may be able to make some. I may try and see if the OEM cap fits as well as some people on there have refitted it, depending on the position of the piston. It will be ok to remove the cap to measure it?

Ok mate, well I've contacted the person on contour forum about shipping to the UK and there's someone on MEG who may be able to make some. I may try and see if the OEM cap fits as well as some people on there have refitted it, depending on the position of the piston. It will be ok to remove the cap to measure it?

The top cap.... yes so long as its still within the turret.

The top cap.... yes so long as its still within the turret.

Cool...I'd better get measuring then! :lol:

I have to say though it is abit of a crap design, especially when you consider how much the kit costs over here. Only around 50 quid in America! :lol:

I'm still waiting to hear about these replacement caps but noticed a couple of other things and just wondering if they're related to this problem.

Bump steer seems to have got worse since fitting this kit and when driving on a road with alot of camber or is very uneven the car feels more nervous than before. Also getting a slight knock sometimes on full lock, which didn't happen before. If I don't get these caps before me MOT if the strut does move when they test it could it fail?

Think I might email Eibach as well cos this ain't on really :o

if it moves mate it will fail iirc.....dont sound to good by all accounts :D i hate bumpsteer...just managed to cure mine :o but ment i had to go even lower to solve it :D hope i dont get this prob when i get my kit though

Well another little update...

I can either get the uprated plates from the guy in America for $55 or I've had an email back from Eibach saying they will get me some new modified plates from the manufacturer in America. Although I have no idea what has been revised on them.

I will obviously try these first as they'd be free but I don't know if I'll get them before MOT time or not, which I wanted to get done in 2 or 3 weeks time! :)

Just to reiterate..... The movement in the shock mount is this "up & down?".

I don't know yet as I've not had the chance to jack the car up, hopefully end of the week...what would this show then?

I don't know yet as I've not had the chance to jack the car up, hopefully end of the week...what would this show then?

Let me know..... Up-down movement has very different guidelines regarding a fail since this test is done with the wheels off the ground and the mounts are relaxed.

Let me know..... Up-down movement has very different guidelines regarding a fail since this test is done with the wheels off the ground and the mounts are relaxed.

Ok will do...so I need to check the wheel for up and down movement as well as left to right movement? I'm also abit worried that trying to move the strut when it's in the air may move the camber settings? :)

Finally getting somewhere, had another email from SPC, contradicting the first one I got so they obviously didn't know what they were talking about! :angry2: With any luck I will be hearing from Eibach tomorrow :angry2:

Copy of the email:

Thank you for your feedback. I have been working with Eibach UK to resolve this problem with the kits and the top plate in question has had another plate welded to the top plates to eliminate this problem of bending. These are very similar to the top plates being offered from a contact in the forum you mentioned.

I have immediately shipped 2 modified kits to replace the kits on your car and these were delivered to Eibach UK on the 28th July. So they should have them there for you, all other kits that Eibach UK have will be replaced and will be with Eibach UK shortly. Could you please send the damaged kits back to Eibach UK so I have traceability of the them and they will send them back to me. Thank you

New kit just turned up but Eibach have only sent one, whereas I need a pair!! :)

SPC said they sent a pair so hopefully it's already over here...if not I'm gonna have to wait abit longer.

New plate has another plate welded to it...will get a photo later.

Why didnt thay put them in the same package :) your startin to have some of my luck mate :)

Maybe they thought there was 2 kits in the box!

I arranged for the courier to collect the old plates on Monday, they came back tonight to get it and I've not changed them yet so had to send him away! :)

Emailed Eibach but will probably have to wait until Monday for a reply now...