"Spinners" are they legal?

Tony

I know someone who has spinners on his wheels.

He has been summoned for breach of

"regulation 100(1) of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, section 40A of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and Schedule 2 to the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988"

because his car had

"wheels were fitted with a 5 spoked weighted device which was attached to the wheel at the center and was capable of revolving independently of the wheel, If a small child were to put their hand on the wheel when the device was spinning. They would be likely to suffer injury that danger was caused or was likely to be caused to any person in or on it or on a road"

If this is correct, spinners are illegal. Anyone know what the position is?

Then the supplier would be deemed to be irresponsible wouldn't they?

Whats the position on s/roofs or electric windows that dont have the auto open jam sensor? and kids push their hand through at the last minute and it doesn't stop/open.....ouch!!!.. bet they dont do it again.

Anyway they are ugly and its a personal taste thing :D

Interesting...most of the taxis in Singapore have them fitted as they have advertising on them ....which obviously you couldn't read if they went round with the wheel :o Come to think of it though, they're complete discs rather than spokes so you couldn't get anything caught between the rotating wheel and the stationary 'spinner'.

Cannot see they're much of a safety hazard because by their very design they rotate freely...there's a lot more risk from a child putting a hand through the spokes of an alloy wheel and a caliper. :D .

Suppose a child could spin them up and then stick their hand in...are they metal or plastic???

I don't think they have a very strong case against the guy, even though I can understand their point. That Regulation 100(1) would generally be used to nick a person for a dangerously loaded roof rack, bits hanging off a car, that kind of thing.

I'd be talking the place I got them from and suggest they contact the manufacturer or distributor. They would definitely have an interest in the outcome of such a case.

If he actually has a summons then the CPS or similar must have felt there was a case to answer. Provided he has representation it might pay him to hold his ground and not roll over with a guilty plea.

I'd have to say the wording above is a bit curious. That and the lack of any previous cases of this nature in the UK make it quite interesting.

I think it's interesting even if I remain unconvinced how strong a case they have, as above.

If he had those tyre slashing things, like a James Bond car, I'd more understand. Bit more Boadicea than Bling!

I'd have expected them to give him a warning and ask him to have them removed, but hey.