Interesting project going on.......

Tony

mods done.....Cal done.......and...... :D

and .......

we want more !

well i do :D

We have managed another degree of castor :D .... Because of this we lowered the front camber and reduced the need for so much toe.

We have driven the car to test the turn-in for any push and there's nothing noticeable to us.....

The steering reply is scary :D ... Your working steering range is 10-to-12 and 12-to-2 that's all the input needed other than hairpin.

Obviously i cannot simulate weight transfer but before this mod the castor sweep showed 0 diagonal "sprung" movement, you now have a 2mm lift (sprung)

Additionally you now have around twice the Ackerman than stock? I'm not overly sure how this has happened other than the advanced castor has off-set the steering arms. The reason i'm not sure is because the last data file didn't hold the Ackerman position :blush:

Personally i'm as chuffed as nuts..... You have an extremely reactive steering now and there must be some reduced diagonal rear lift now..... Although i don't know how much.

mods done.....Cal done.......and...... :)

and .......

we want more !

well i do :D

We have managed another degree of castor :) .... Because of this we lowered the front camber and reduced the need for so much toe.

We have driven the car to test the turn-in for any push and there's nothing noticeable to us.....

The steering reply is scary :D ... Your working steering range is 10-to-12 and 12-to-2 that's all the input needed other than hairpin.

Obviously i cannot simulate weight transfer but before this mod the castor sweep showed 0 diagonal "sprung" movement, you now have a 2mm lift (sprung)

Additionally you now have around twice the Ackerman than stock? I'm not overly sure how this has happened other than the advanced castor has off-set the steering arms. The reason i'm not sure is because the last data file didn't hold the Ackerman position :crying_anim:

Personally i'm as chuffed as nuts..... You have an extremely reactive steering now and there must be some reduced diagonal rear lift now..... Although i don't know how much.

youre chuffed as nuts .........so am I :D

cant wait to test drive it now

saturday will tell all

You need to test the turn rate before you take the car..... Just in case it's to fast..... I don't think it is but for the sake of a little testing at the park we can ensure your track day will be for the better.

I also noticed a way to advance the castor further if needed.... This will involve reducing the width of the wishbones (centre bushing) and some spacers, but i feel we could get as high a five degrees :crying_anim:

You need to test the turn rate before you take the car..... Just in case it's to fast..... I don't think it is but for the sake of a little testing at the park we can ensure your track day will be for the better.

I also noticed a way to advance the castor further if needed.... This will involve reducing the width of the wishbones (centre bushing) and some spacers, but i feel we could get as high a five degrees :D

genius :crying_anim:

I also noticed a way to advance the castor further if needed.... This will involve reducing the width of the wishbones (centre bushing) and some spacers, but i feel we could get as high a five degrees :D

genius :crying_anim:

Well no.... I'm just thinking "if needs be".... The calibration door needs to be kept open so that future manipulation is available.

In truth i feel worried the steering reaction maybe to fast for you?... For those reading this thread we have done nothing with the mechanical steering ratio, only the geometric reactive ratio.

Bazza picked the car up today to race this weekend.... To validate my work i insisted he tested the steering reactions with some aggressive "turn in's" on the wim estate...... I'm pleased to say he was :lol: at the difference :)

I think what surprised Bazza the most is how small steering area's Yaw range is.... It is 10-12 and 12-2.

Needless to say i am not the driver so i needed him to test this before taking the car, it is very possible to over calibrate the chassis.

All i can say now is "Good luck and safe racing Bazza".

Well Bazza..... Did you notice any change in the chassis?

steering felt so much more positive

front end felt very planted

power delivery was good

rear seemed ready to break loose at times, although the track did become very slippery, even the 4wheel drive machines were suffering, in saying that it was controllable and quiet easy to put back into line

rear wheel lift was still occuring but to a much lesser degree, looking through the photos of the other cars, a lot of them were also "cocking" a wheel, some to ridiculous heights

overall i am really pleased, the car has certainly improved and become easier to control and correct

the car is now going to undergo its engine out/engine in operation and with the new turbo being fitted, i have around 7 weeks until the next event, but hopefully i will have some spare time to get it back to you before

:D

I think the modification and your driving skills have worked perfectly.

We can see the wheel lift has been much reduced, since you are tight on the corner and on a good lock..... and won the race i'm well chuffed.

The Corolla is struggling, as for the other Starlet.... It's totally washed out.

• 7 months later...
Hows the rocket gearing up for this season bazza?

slowly !!

blooming vitz is taking preference at the moment

the starlet is now gearbox less, in lieu of having it fitted with an LSD and a quick refresh, by the top toyota gearbox man in the country :o

new wheels to go on

poly engine mounts

back up to WIM for a few tweaks

quick service

install built in camera system :mellow:

then it should be ready

i hope :o

So pretty much as normal then :o ...... At the risk of sounding dumber than usual, what's "vitz i"

vitz as in toyota vitz as in janeys car as in why am i doing all the work on it :mellow:

At least I make you cuppas all day & supply moral support along with the odd spanner or socket :o

wow that GTi in the picture must have entered the turn far too fast.

LOL the guy is an absolute loon albeit an excellent driver watching him go round is great - though I'm hoping his hand has healed ready for this season after I slammed it in the Starlets door last time out :mellow:

wow that GTi in the picture must have entered the turn far too fast.

LOL the guy is an absolute loon albeit an excellent driver watching him go round is great - though I'm hoping his hand has healed ready for this season after I slammed it in the Starlets door last time out :(

Reads like a tatic to me janey........ like it :thumbsup_anim: