Lowering the car is perfectly safe, isn't it?

Tony

Moving the sprung/unsprung chassis closer agitates the attitude of components like wishbones and steering arms.

Additionally the radii of the wishbone and steering arm no longer works in uniform, particularly the steering arm.

So what?...... Look at this image

post-2-1209841501.jpg

As you can see the track-rod-end connecting pin is at around 45degrees (static) The pin should be vertical.

From vertical the pin can orbit transitions born from steering Yaw and the suspensions natural radii expressed to the wishbone, so there will be gains from the vertical position (dynamic)

The unforeseen consequence is the huge amount of energy trying to pull the pin from the knuckle, this is a terminal failure mechanically.

Moral of this story is if you lower the suspension then check the attitude of the track-rod-ends through pin, if it's off change it for aftermarket vertically adjustable track-rod-ends, they are cheap as chips!!

So can you get aftermarket TRE's for any type of car then? :rolleyes:

Pretty much yes..... This condition apart from being terminally dangerous is the main reason for bump-steer... Move the end, belay the bump.

Never knew that as I thought all TRE's were different even between the models of the same make.

I will check mine then but from memory I think they're ok.

Never knew that as I thought all TRE's were different even between the models of the same make.

I will check mine then but from memory I think they're ok.

They are different mate so the correct aftermarket end needs to be sourced.... A few degrees off vertical is not end of days but the example displayed is becoming common place since owners are not aware of this modification consequence.

Never seen any for the mondeo but after a quick search seems you could get some from America for the Contour.

Facts are not all makes will need them once lowered but the owner should be wise to the possibility.

Would this effect the mondeo to much though as track rod goes in the top of it's hole insted of under neath? Weve moved 1's that go under to downward's. this was on a pug 309.... think i see a thread here to about it..but think it was to do with bump steer?

Would this effect the mondeo to much though as track rod goes in the top of it's hole insted of under neath? Weve moved 1's that go under to downward's. this was on a pug 309.... think i see a thread here to about it..but think it was to do with bump steer?

Nose down fitments are less vulnerable but not immune to the phenomenon.... Maybe it's the fact that the French design of suspension is less desirable to modification so less visible in this particular area?