Anyone got any experience of these guys?

Andrew

Hi everyone,

My favourite toy is my Mazda MX-5 BBR Turbo which since buying I have fitted Eibach springs and KYB shocks to, and the car now sits a bit lower than before. Also it's 17 years old so I've decided a proper 4-wheel laser alignment is in order; I live in Brighton so although I'd like to do as the MX-5 Owners club recommend and take my car to Tony, Chesham is quite a long way from me and if I can get a good job done locally, that'd make sense.... I think. Actually I'm not sure, maybe that drive would be worth it (also I work and I don't know whether Chesham is open on Saturdays....?)

I googled "laser wheel alignment Sussex" and found this place - http://www.1stclassgarage.co.uk/wheel-alignment.html

Anyone know anything about it? Like if they know what they're doing.....?

Andrew

Think the key word you should look for is "full geometry" as laser alignment gets thrown around a lot..

Fairly sure Tony has a list of accredited centers that he'd be able to recommend..

Take the trip it will be worth it...

WIM centre will be open 6 days a week 7 days once a month (Tony will correct me if im wrong). :)

Definately worth taking the trip as Tony really knows his 5's - 'Amazed' (Adam) who is on the OC & SERoadsters lives in Brighton but makes the trip up as he says its definately worth it for the peace of mind

Hello Andrew

Laser is no good i'm afraid, it can only measure longitudinal angles and this won't serve you well.

Additionally you have modified suspension making the OEM settings redundant. You now need a manufactured Geometry to compliment the modifications.

It's near impossible to offer a calibration until the chassis is measured, reason being the chassis is adjustable in the X,Y,Z axis so if just on cam adjuster runs out of adjustment before the desired position is reached then the entire calibration needs reassessing.

If you intend to continue looking for a centre near you then the correct type of machine should be able to measure the castor angle and give a full print out. I do urge you though to find somewhere that respects your modifications and willing to advance the chassis to complement them.

I'd still suggest taking the 90-120min drive to Chesham.

Tony will be open on Saturdays soon I beleive ?

I am open Saturdays now although i'm booked three weeks in advance now.... In view of this Sunday bookings are available (am only) i do need some sleep :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tony,

Subject to my car passing it's MoT tomorrow I'd like to get the geometry sorted before June 3rd, I could take an afternoon off work during the week I suppose. Also I sometimes work near Reading, which isn't so far from you. How much notice would you need for a midweek afternoon booking? My schedule is reasonably flexible, I could move jobs around a bit and could potentially do most Tuesday, Wednesdays or Thursdays.

Hi Tony,

Subject to my car passing it's MoT tomorrow I'd like to get the geometry sorted before June 3rd, I could take an afternoon off work during the week I suppose. Also I sometimes work near Reading, which isn't so far from you. How much notice would you need for a midweek afternoon booking? My schedule is reasonably flexible, I could move jobs around a bit and could potentially do most Tuesday, Wednesdays or Thursdays.

To hit a time that suits you three days notice is advised..... Good luck with the Mot :)

Hi Tony,

To hit a time that suits you three days notice is advised..... Good luck with the Mot :)

Cheers Doc! You'll be hearing from me soon if all goes well....