Mondeo rear tubular arms

Rich

I got these this morning, can only be bought from America for the contour. Luckily I bought them from someone in the UK :D

They replace this part in the illustration.

diagram.jpg

As far as I know they're a fixed arm...to adjust the camber the box section next to it would need to be adjustable. However, I have no rear camber issues, I'm just fitting these for extra strength :thumbsup_anim:

In this photo they're the silver bar.

reararm.jpg

The hub end is rose jointed and the other poly bushed.

arm1.jpg

arm2.jpg

Tony, if I get new bolts/nuts from Fords would you be able to fit these before the geo is done. Shouldn't take long I'd imagine, I'm just not overly keen on jacking the rear of a mondeo up. It's ok when you're working from the side but not underneath!

Nice looking arms.... I'm curious to see what effect they will have on the camber since the position is very off-set from the hubs centre..... But hay lets see....

For the install it will be on the two posters (once the shutters are in) then it's a case of "off you go ER" cos i'm busy... I'll let you use me spanners though :thumbsup_anim:

You can adjust the rose jointed end but I'd imagine this is so the holes will line up. They extend by around an inch or so. Once they're fixed in position I don't know if adjusting this will effect the camber? :D

That's very nice of you Tony, thanks :D I can bring me tool kit as well otherwise it won't get used much! :thumbsup_anim:

You can adjust the rose jointed end but I'd imagine this is so the holes will line up. They extend by around an inch or so. Once they're fixed in position I don't know if adjusting this will effect the camber? :D

That's very nice of you Tony, thanks :D I can bring me tool kit as well otherwise it won't get used much! :thumbsup_anim:

If the arm replaced the other solid (not toe arm) then between them both you could adjust the camber and toe by manipulation, but a single "off-set" adjuster will be toe only....

Anyway the main reason for the purchase was rigidity not camber correction so what does it matter anyway.

If the arm replaced the other solid (not toe arm) then between them both you could adjust the camber and toe by manipulation, but a single "off-set" adjuster will be toe only....

Anyway the main reason for the purchase was rigidity not camber correction so what does it matter anyway.

It doesn't matter was just interested :thumbsup_anim:

phwaaaaarrrrr.....i want some of those daddy :) thought the tubing may of been a tad bigger though...rich jack it up mate ;) ive been under mine so many times to change these :lol: i need a fabricator now ..

• 2 months later...

Well fitted these today, didn't go quite to plan but one of them is on there. The nut was a sod to get off, took me an hour using the jack to keep a spanner on the bolt head and then me feet to turn the spanner on the nut!

Other side the bolt has seized in the metal bush casing and I spent 2 hours trying to remove it, no joy so looks like a job for WIM :mellow:

Nearly thought I might have a problem when I bolted the first arm on. The hub end of the arm is thinner than the standard one, see below, so when I tightened the bolt up there was still movement in the arm!

rear_arms1.jpg

rear_arms2.jpg

Luckily I had bought new bolts and these had integrated washers, whereas the original ones had a separate washer. So I took this washer and used it with the new bolt and when combined it was roughly the same thickness as the standard arm. I hope I've done this ok anyway cos if you look at the photo in the first post it looks like the bolt isn't all the way in but this is how it was looking without the extra washer!

rear_arms3.jpg

rear_arms4.jpg

• 7 months later...

Well I've had these fitted for 7 months now with no problems but I recently found out that I should've got some tapered spacers with them! So I've had them fitted incorrectly!

I had to buy them from the guy who makes them in Canada and they arrived last week...once the weather brightens up I will be fitting them :(

spacers.jpg