Changing the steering wheel

Is the column on the Mond symmetrical or hexagonal?

Err, how do you mean? If it's straight or at an angle? :)

What shape is the end of the column where the wheel mounts...... Is it a spline or 50p shape.

Is the column on the Mond symmetrical or hexagonal?

Err, how do you mean? If it's straight or at an angle? :)

What shape is the end of the column where the wheel mounts...... Is it a spline or 50p shape.

Ah right! I don't know and I'm at work so can't look at the new wheel I've got until the morning...

Hey all just a bit of experience....even if you do mark the column and the steering uses splines...it is still possible for the steering wheel to be off centre when it goes back on...there is a slight bit of movement possible when tightening the nut onto the splines......

I will give it ago and see what happens :)

Not looking forward to removing the airbag though! :)

you need to disable that mate :)

Yeah I know :) Leave the ignition off at least half an hour but I'll disconnect the battery as well :)

There's also a fuse I need to remove which supplies the backup power for the airbag. I will be leaving it for a while don't worry and I'll stand outside the car when i unplug it! :)

There's also a fuse I need to remove which supplies the backup power for the airbag. I will be leaving it for a while don't worry and I'll stand outside the car when i unplug it! :rolleyes:

If you pm me the cars details i will check the procedure on the Autodata cd tomorrow......

And when you knock the steering wheel off, make sure the nut has not been removed from the column completely.

Saves you damaging your nice new steering wheel with you teeth! (Or is it the other way around?) :rolleyes:

h

It says on the cd... The spiral cable (don't ask what that is) should not be allowed to rotate after the wheel is removed?

Other than that there is no information about the airbag...... Oh torque setting for the main nut is 50nm :rolleyes:

It says on the cd... The spiral cable (don't ask what that is) should not be allowed to rotate after the wheel is removed?

Other than that there is no information about the airbag...... Oh torque setting for the main nut is 50nm :o

Cheers :)

There's a few cables that are fed through a hole at the top of the wheel so maybe it's relating to that.

Will let you know how I get on! :rolleyes:

Other than that there is no information about the airbag...... Oh torque setting for the main nut is 50nm :)

Cheers :)

There's a few cables that are fed through a hole at the top of the wheel so maybe it's relating to that.

Will let you know how I get on! :o

If i see you fly past the window i'll know you got it wrong :rolleyes:

Other than that there is no information about the airbag...... Oh torque setting for the main nut is 50nm :rolleyes:

The spiral cable is a wound electrical cable that connects to the airbag.

Imagine it is wound ike a clock spring !

If it is moved then it could be stretched when the wheel is turned to the extreme end.

NickT

Did it go ok or do you have a Frank Bruno nose now :D

Did nothing but rain the weekend so I didn't get the chance :)

Will be doing it Thursday so let you know...

Why?..... You were taking the steering wheel off not the roof :)

Did it go ok or do you have a Frank Bruno nose now :D

Did nothing but rain the weekend so I didn't get the chance :)

Will be doing it Thursday so let you know...

Why?..... You were taking the steering wheel off not the roof :)

As I weren't gonna sit in front of the airbag when disconnecting it!! :)