Directional tyres on the wrong way

Rich

Was stuck in traffic this afternoon and I was looking at a few cars parked up when I noticed on one of them the front directional tyres were on the wrong side! :lol:

What affect does this have on the handling of the car and tyre wear? I'm assuming it would be an MOT failure as well?

Good question

If the rotation is bias over the axle then wet weather braking will have a distinct pull in favor of the correct rotation.

Ironically if both tyres on a given axle are incorrectly fitted the tyres act the same as symmetrical tyres.

As for wear :lol: ... Not sure, i need to research that thought?

So in wet weather the tyres would not work like they're suppose to...so could be dangerous to drive on? :lol:

If this was a fault of a garage and the owner was oblivious to the fact the tyres had been fitted incorrectly and they had an accident, do you think the insurance company could refuse to pay out? That's if they spot them.

I always thought that regardless of whether the owner knows that something has been fitted correctly or not, it's their car so they should make sure it's roadworthy and legal at all times.

I remember when GM launched the Lotus Carlton at the Geneva show, I was there pre press day during preperations.....they wheeled this secret covered carlton in set it up on the stand (only the fitters, dogs bodies and GM knobs there) they uncovered it to polish and fettle the finish....when I noticed it had directional tyres.....I pointed out to the knobs they were fitted wrongly.....and as I was filming and standing there cameras in hand at the time.....you never saw a car wheeled away so fast! :)

One of the caternails tricks with the A048s ( http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Yokohama/Advan-A048.htm ) is to put them on backwards to give them a little extra bite.

Not entirely sure how or why but I've seen enough of them doing it.

That's interesting but surely it defeats the point of them being directionals...they must have been designed this way for a reason? :)

One of the caternails tricks with the A048s ( http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Yokohama/Advan-A048.htm ) is to put them on backwards to give them a little extra bite.

Not entirely sure how or why but I've seen enough of them doing it.

That's interesting but surely it defeats the point of them being directionals...they must have been designed this way for a reason? :)

The reason is water dispersion.....the tread design was a development from the F1 teams requirements.....