Biggest wheel spacers ever?

voicey

I thought I'd post a query in here. The wet weather yesterday meant a day on the sofa watching tv :huh: Has anyone seen "Chop Shop" on Discovery Channel? They take scrap cars and turn them into "Super Cars". Some of the conversions are pretty cool but they always seemed to widen both the front and rear track by using massive (8" in one case) wheel spacers. Take a look at these pics for example:

http://www.discoverychannel.co.uk/chopshop...ar_2.shtml?no=4

http://www.discoverychannel.co.uk/chopshop...ar_5.shtml?no=4

In my mind using somehting like this must be a big no no but I'd appricate the views of an expert - what problems would occur? Bear in mind they are supposed to sell these cars on at the end. Trouble brewing for the new owner?

We watch it every week :huh: :o

They seem to use spacers like that on every car they do & I can't see how they can be safe and must put so much strain on (let alone the rest of the 'cut & shut' style of the cars) Every time they do a 'test drive' I wait for something to fall off or break :)

We watch it every week :huh: :o

They seem to use spacers like that on every car they do & I can't see how they can be safe and must put so much strain on (let alone the rest of the 'cut & shut' style of the cars) Every time they do a 'test drive' I wait for something to fall off or break :)

They're 'orrible...and what happened to engineering considerations? The stress on the suspension and the wheel bearings has got to have exceeded the original design envelope, especially on acceleration and braking :) .

LOL last nights 'boy racer' car not only had the spacers but also the camber :) They put a front strut brace on to try and stop the wheels parting company even more ;)

pic here http://www.discoverychannel.co.uk/chopshop...ar_7.shtml?no=5

Apparently a good 45deg helps you go fast round corners better :unsure:

It does...... But the setting variables are endless.....

Example.... This week i am setting Phil@ P5's MX5 the car is 100% committed to the track, before i even measure the car we have bounced ideas and positions back and forth..... From this we expect a theoretical set-up in advance of his visit, and Phil is very educated in the chassis realm....

An aggressive camber as displayed is advantageous but only part of a menu with endless ingredients.... I think ;)