Common complaints hit list for all marques

Tony

A common complaint is a rapid "metallic" knocking sound in the straight ahead position....... Suppressed during a turn, normally on one lock only.

Most times this is due to the "Drop link"..... This is the connecting rod between the anti-roll bar and the suspension leg.

post-2-1195423098.jpg

These knuckle joints when worn generate alarming sounds and it's easy to assume a huge repair bill..... Fear not.

The Drop-links are as cheap as chips assuming the testing is correct?

Testing method

With the wheels on the ground attempt to move the link "up-down".... If worn you will feel the play :huh:

When I first got my mondeo one of the drop links was so worn the rubber boot had perished and the ball joint just popped out. It was the original one as well I think. Have to agree though they knock loudly when worn, I noticed it going over speed bumps and dips in the road more.

the zafira ones knocked like crazy

when inspected they appreared fine, no movement found

once they were changed all was quite

however the peugeot had a broken one and yet no knocking at all, didnt notice anything was wrong either !!

however the peugeot had a broken one and yet no knocking at all, didnt notice anything was wrong either !!

The Peugeot was unusual since the link was completely detached "hence no knocking". I suppose the reason you never noticed any handling problems was because the car was so new to you?

The Peugeot was unusual since the link was completely detached "hence no knocking". I suppose the reason you never noticed any handling problems was because the car was so new to you?

good point tony :unsure:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Changing one is just fine...... Save your money ;)

Just an observation guys - When I change my mondy drop links I always do them in pairs - mainly because about 4 times I have compared the old and new ones side by side and found there to be a significant difference in length of them. This will of course affect handling as the ARB will be already distorting before you even hit a corner.

Of course if you replace them from the same place as the previous ones were bought from you should be OK ;)

Changing one is just fine...... Save your money ;)

Just an observation guys - When I change my mondy drop links I always do them in pairs - mainly because about 4 times I have compared the old and new ones side by side and found there to be a significant difference in length of them. This will of course affect handling as the ARB will be already distorting before you even hit a corner.

Of course if you replace them from the same place as the previous ones were bought from you should be OK ;)

Hi BigI.... I wouldn't expect any observable differences in the length unless the old one is bent. The stresses on the drop link are very small, hence the reason why the shaft is so thin, in fact that is why the knuckles on some versions are made of plastic.

I had this same problem with the 'Passat of Doom' last year. (you remember that Tony?!?)

Both drop links were totally screwed. Replacements could not be found any where so i simply.....

.... removed the front anti-roll bar!

Muchos drifting Fun!

Irresponsible i know, but hilarious none the less :P

I had this same problem with the 'Passat of Doom' last year. (you remember that Tony?!?)

Both drop links were totally screwed. Replacements could not be found any where so i simply.....

.... removed the front anti-roll bar!

Muchos drifting Fun!

Irresponsible i know, but hilarious none the less :P

I remember it well :P ..... In fact i'm still having therapy because of it :P