studs and bolts

Bazza

noticed the use of studs and nuts to hold manifolds on

question is why ?

why not just bolts

my thinking is it may be a case of locating the gaskets and manifolds on

confused as the starlet intake manifold uses three of each B)

or is there a more techy answer ??

Yup.

Never use a bolt in a "blind" hole, reason is the bolt could "bottom" in the hole and the required torque (force) won't be applied to the part being held down.

A stud on the other hand may "bottom" in the hole but the nut will keep turning till the required torque is reached, easy really B)

Yup.

Never use a bolt in a "blind" hole, reason is the bolt could "bottom" in the hole and the required torque (force) won't be applied to the part being held down.

A stud on the other hand may "bottom" in the hole but the nut will keep turning till the required torque is reached, easy really B)

i see that reasoning

but why does the starlet have a combination of both !

Yup.

i see that reasoning

Most manifolds will have studs with the correct length thread so that the head is not damaged.

Often when you try and remove the nut on the stud, the stud also gets removed. If replacement studs are not available many places with just use bolts instead.....

Yup.

i see that reasoning

Most manifolds will have studs with the correct length thread so that the head is not damaged.

Often when you try and remove the nut on the stud, the stud also gets removed. If replacement studs are not available many places with just use bolts instead.....

on the starlet there is definetly a mix of both,

now that i have the insulator/spacer fitted the original studs arnt long enough, so i may need to use correctly sized bolts

so needed to know if there was a reason why i couldnt

Yup.

i see that reasoning

on the starlet there is definetly a mix of both,

now that i have the insulator/spacer fitted the original studs arnt long enough, so i may need to use correctly sized bolts

so needed to know if there was a reason why i couldnt

Just be sure the thread going in the head is no longer than the thread on the studs.

I would always use studs , you can strip a thread on nut or stud and change them , if you over tighten a bolt it will bugger the thread in the block and it will have to be heli-coilled , also the force of torsion will be different when torqued up beteen a bolt and a stud and nut .

I would always use studs , you can strip a thread on nut or stud and change them , if you over tighten a bolt it will bugger the thread in the block and it will have to be heli-coilled.

Very true about changing a stud if you strip the thread but a bolt is no different unless the bolt "bottoms out" in the hole in that case you will strip the thread in the head.

also the force of torsion will be different when torqued up beteen a bolt and a stud and nut .

Sorry but I don't follow the logic on that one.