My handling problems

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why is it whenever I have a problem its always a bugger to fix :lol: :rolleyes: I'll ask the alignment centre to double check everything, is there anything I can suggest to them that will help bring the scrub radius to zero? (thats what I need right?)

You will need some form of camber adjustment. When you go back can you ask for the other half of the Geometry report... Namely the part with the KPI/SAI positions.

Just got back, this is all they could give me.

sai.jpg

I told him how when I drive through a puddle the outside of the tyre doesn't pick up much water because its barely touching the surface. He told me if I can get a camber adjust kit then he can fix it for me.

The good news is I phoned Eibach and they told me the camber adjustable kit for the Mk2 mondeo will work on models upto 2007, this costs £122 from Demon Tweeks :thumbsup_anim: Although they don't do one for the rear...

So does that mean it's the camber causing this problem?

If the camber is non adjustable then I don't understand how the car these wheels were originally on handled fine...or is each car unique, regardless of the fact it's the same make and model?

To be honest I've got to the end of my tether with the car, I can't really afford or justify £120 for the camber kit, + fitting + realignment so I'm just going to pop the old springs back on it. Too bad it'll need realigning again but oh well, it's a learning curve.

Thanks very much for all your help.

So does that mean it's the camber causing this problem?

If the camber is non adjustable then I don't understand how the car these wheels were originally on handled fine...or is each car unique, regardless of the fact it's the same make and model?

Obviously the chassis positions between the cars does differ. But the common criminal with every test on this car is the S/R.

Personally i cannot take the words from the seller of the wheels that things were ok with the combination he had...... You have to ponder why the wheels were for sale :thumbsup_anim:

These wheels are called 'megs whore wheels' because I am the third person on the site to own them, the guy replaced them as he wan't the Titanium X version which have the exact same size & offset. Gonna to try and find a garage that will put the old springs on, I'll be mega p**sed if nothing changed; I wouldn't put it past my luck :thumbsup_anim:

These wheels are called 'megs whore wheels' because I am the third person on the site to own them, the guy replaced them as he wan't the Titanium X version which have the exact same size & offset. Gonna to try and find a garage that will put the old springs on, I'll be mega p**sed if nothing changed; I wouldn't put it past my luck :thumbsup_anim:

The only thing we don't know is the camber positions before the springs were fitted.... In the book they should be -35' so about half what you currently have.

Let’s hope so, I have no reason to think it won't as the car was perfect before the springs went on. It will roll more but it will have twice the grip and be more comfortable, at the moment whenever I go round a corner I can hear a groaning sound from the tyres as they begin to reach their limit of adhesion, despite me turning into a corner gently at 10mph :thumbsup_anim:

Once again, thanks to everyone who posted in this thread; you've helped me a lot :) :)

Surely it will cost roughly the same to get the camber kit and fit that, than get 4 springs changed.

Or if the 16's handle ok then keep them on with the car lowered.

Can you borrow any 17's to see what it's like with them?

I've spent a bit of time with Gavin's Mondeo and although it sits quite high I would be happy with it, at least the tyres will last longer and what not.

Tony, is there any unforeseen problems I could encounter once the old springs are back on? Like the camber not being able to return to normal etc?

I've spent a bit of time with Gavin's Mondeo and although it sits quite high I would be happy with it, at least the tyres will last longer and what not.

Tony, is there any unforeseen problems I could encounter once the old springs are back on? Like the camber not being able to return to normal etc?

Theoretically no. If it were possible to have the original springs fitted on the original side it could belay some technical issues.

Getting back to this issue...

How does raising the car change the SAI, or is it the camber that changes hence the SR is out? You say 15* SAI is very declined, what should it be?

When cornering there seems to be a lot of road feeling through the steering wheel but not much grip, apparently this is because of positive scrub radius. I drew this rough diagram to help my understanding, is it correct; to an extent?

sr.jpg

Good question.

Depending on the type of suspension the basic law is that the unsprung radii will become disperportionate to the sprung radii.

In essence the unsprung linkage must be further away due to the lowering. As a consequence the "declination" of the KPI/SAI will move the S/R toward the outside of the tyre.

Think of that line though the pivotal axis again..... Remember it's through the upper (sprung) and lower (unsprung) parallelograms. If you change that distance then you will change the target destination.