I knew something wasn't right

jammy

:) its been an educational emotional but a whole lot of fun on the way....

Had a few issues from previous repairs done during past owners but i put all them right on the way today too... The car has come together well and dispite the hicups woth the garage doing the geo and the monkeys tbey employ, the gaffa has stick woth it amd lernt quite abit from my car too   :)

Ive lernt tons since i joined here in 2007 (i think thats when i joined anyway) 

Ive seen older hunter machines pop up with a reasonable price tag and have bern so tempted! If i have equipment the rest can come quite easy i. Respect of premises :)

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

Well done mate, very satisfying when you do the work yourself! :D

I always do mate.... I was not happy about having to let someone else do the clutch on it as i could only get supply and fit but they did a grand job tbh

It smokes like mad tbh but that is just how these engines seem to be, the fuel pumps are almost maxed out on these, probably the worst part kf the whole set up.. It p**sed emissions last year and always has according to its history.. 

Always been tyre tread low/near limit and front disks scored.. Its always passed all its mots apart from 2010 as it failrd on snapped springs amd worn bushes.. Its been a well loved car had full vauxhall history up to 2012 to when the cambelt was done, and verious receipts for services every 6 to 8k up to 2016 and i got it September 2017. But doing oil once a year using castrol oil :) cambelt is due this year though.got a wddding to think about befire tbat though

Well that seems to have gone really well.. Only the passenger side front and rear needed adjusting"so dispite the dodgy tyre  and a front end dismantle and rebuild on monday the main reason the alingment was out now was due to a wind possessed traffic cone trying to play chickin with me on the m20 sunday and i drove clean over it :rolleyes: wasnt out by much, the rear had moved on the camber bolt though :i did that up FT too, id marked them with tipex to monitor the bolts on thw camber and toe and the rear.. Ive done it FT and a bit more so hopefully that stays put :)

Been out on a quock 10 mile drive and it feels pretty good, that driveshft and tyre was definitely starting to cause more problems. Dosnt twicth kr rock about on the road now and there is no bumpsteer at all.. Lots of grip and it gkes straight.. Its going back in a month just for a check over 

Drives well and pretty effortlessly too"BUt! :rolleyes: the rrar seams to out alot when cornering rathen than diving over tight? Feels like its a comfort setup if anything..

Its weird dtiving it now :lol: actually feels like ive glt in a different car, kts so quite now 

And tyre pressure change from 40psi all round to 42f 38r which is the same as a VXR with the same wheel and tyre

Made a noticeable difference with these adjustments 

Ill get the current numbers to you soon ive just got to find the print out. Its a pleasent drive but i would like some shaper steerimg as it is a little lame/vague but damn it grips well.. We have had a few long stretches of roads renewed and it drives very straight now 

• 2 weeks later...

DOH! Only caught the driveshaft oil seal refitting tge driveshaft :rolleyes: noticed oio everywhere after our drive to ashford and back Sunday. Wjat a mess a little bit of oil can make i drained all thr oil out and had 3 litres in there what i put back in 2 weeks ago so didnt loosr much but ive got a 300 mile drive drive friday.. 

Beeb back fot a check on the geo too and there had been movement again :huh: all nuts and bolts was marked and none had moved physically.. I took the car home for a check and found absolutely nothing moving or nothing worn, it was the passenger side again that moved  (rear toe and front toe) so what ive done was undone everything in both offside corners and dome them back up with the car on the ground, im yet to see what difference it makes with numbers but on the road thete is a noticeable change in the cars behaviour and for the better too, also brought the toe in slightly rather than out and i now have sharper steering on weaving  bends too..

Got that crappy shaft off now to and fittwd the replacement shaft along with new seal lastnight :) got the thread cleaned up at a back street garage

4 hours ago, Tony said:

Bad news about the seal, but it happens..... Are you sure their geo ramp is level?

Inhabr asked yhos and they asure it was recently checked... 

Im off thete now to see if thete is a slot for tomorrow before my airport run.. Ill check the  ramp myself :lol:..

Yes rich a right mess! 

6 hours ago, Tony said:

Bad news about the seal, but it happens..... Are you sure their geo ramp is level?

Ramp was checked 3 weeks ago because machine went offline. Turns out to be a dodgy wheel sensor... 

I was lucky and turned uo to a empty ramp so it got put straight o/s front was out (it had been apart yesterday) and n/s rear was out again... Not much this time though.. Wasset t - 2.02° camber and only moved to - 1.51 so not a great deal. Moved it to the same as before and it brought the n/s rear back inline at the same time as. Did the front n/s toe when the o/s was adjusted.... 

The drive is great, wheel is straight a head with very little effort holding it (which is an actual first since this spax set up was installed  like 10 monThs ago.. I always expect teething prolems to go on for atleast 6 months anyway... 

Best bit was i got this one as a freebee as i had no cash on me. Wasnt expecting to get onthe ramps today so what a result.. 

Nothing had physically moved on the nuts and bolts though which is a good sign! Ill havr my offroad parking space free again end of summer the siggy will get a break then while i do some more bushings and decide wever the car goes ori pull thederv out of it amd either v6 petrol turbo it or stick a saab aero hot engine in it

7 hours ago, Tony said:

Stopped adding ballost ages ago when you said there is no point goven its set up and fuel is about 2 gallons and its been the same ruffly each time showing 53 miles to empty so im trying to keep thing identical each trip on the ramps